1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Blue-Gray All-Star Game Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Dec 25, 2011.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Yeah, I wish.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Toward the end, the organizers of that game would be hoping for Alabama or Auburn to finish with a losing record (and not qualify for a bowl) so that their players could be in the Blue-Gray game.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Used to be on in the background at Christmas Day dinner at Uncle Gene's (the Big Ten ref) every year when it was being played.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Every year since the only reason for Montgomery to exist was snuffed out, I spend a little time trying to figure out who would coach and play this year.

For this season, I figure Derrick Dooley for the Gray and Lane Kiffin for the Blue would have stirred a little interest.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Same here back in the day, even if my old man didn't recognize college football unless he had a bet on the game or Notre Dame was playing.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

At one time the only sporting event and maybe one or two NBA games on Christmas. Now ... just another day, sports-wise.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Always enjoyed watching it back in the day when there was little else to watch on TV.

8. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

That one year it was in Troy, so was I. Actually kind of fun to cover. All the guys who finished playing after the third quarter we were allowed to interview on the sidelines during the fourth.

My memories of it, though, are from my childhood, when it was background noise at my family's Christmas celebration. If the Gray team won, my grandfather would say "the South will rise again." Much like me, he forgot the jokes he told before, so he thought it was funny each time.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

It was fun to see the players with 6-8 logos from different teams on their helmets by the end of the game. I assume players from even bad teams being on TV weekly made the novelty of the game go away, making the game expendable

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

It's like a vampire ... you never really kill it.

http://www.fresnobee.com/2011/12/08/2642179/pat-hill-to-coach-all-star-game.html

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Kill it! Kill it with fire!

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

It's worse than you think Dools ... Not only is Hill coaching one team, the other is coached by Houston Nutt. Ole Miss went to Fresno this past season and won, not that it did Hill or Nutt much good.

Draft saved Draft deleted