1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running BCS selection show thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Oz, Dec 2, 2007.

?

Who do you believe should play in the BCS title game?

1. Ohio State

69 vote(s)
    55.6%
  2. LSU

63 vote(s)
    50.8%
  3. Oklahoma

25 vote(s)
    20.2%
  4. Virginia Tech

6 vote(s)
    4.8%
  5. USC

17 vote(s)
    13.7%
  6. Georgia

17 vote(s)
    13.7%
  7. Kansas

15 vote(s)
    12.1%
  8. Hawaii

31 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

I'm sure the Rose Bowl will screw it up by inviting Illinois to face SoCal, but I'd love to see OSU, LSU, VT, Oklahoma, Georgia and Southern Cal grouped in three BCS games.

Because then it'd be a whole lot easier to get to a split champion.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

LSU beat 8-4 conference teams. Ohio State beat 8-4 conference teams. Now, isn't it possible that Northwestern, Minnesota, Iowa and Michigan State were so bad as to drag the Big Ten ranking down, and that the top teams in the league are just as good as the SEC. Ooops, I forgot, it's the SEC. End of argument.

3. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Is is possible? Sure.

I mean, there's no computer or ranking system I can find that would suggest it, but it's certainly possible.

Which is why, if OSU beats the pants off whoever it plays in whatever bowl it plays in, it should earn -- at the very least -- a share of the national title.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Jeebus, it's good to see that the SEC fanbois are still as batshit crazy as ever.

Look, I don't know if Ohio State is any good. And I know that the Big Ten was down. But you know what? So were all the other conferences. Every single argument you can make one way, you can make the other.

The bottom line is that Ohio State only lost one game and will play for the national title. I guess you can let that bug you. But trust me when I say that you look silly making some of this arguments for why two- and three-loss teams are better and more deserving of the spot in the title game.

In the end, winning your games has to mean something.

LSU has a pretty good case to make the title game, too. Both losses were in overtime. They did spank their tough out of conference foe. But these arguments for Va Tech and USC and Georgia and shit are just silly.

5. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

But, right now, the BCS ranking system is the best we have. It combines folks that follow the sport and computers that, theoretically, have no bias.

And, according to that formula, Ohio State defeated a grand total of one team among the nation's top 25.

At the same time, that same system looks like it will rank that team No. 1.

So, no. Nothing really makes sense in any of this.

6. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Zeke,

You're calling SEC fanboys batshit crazy, while saying LSU belongs in the BCS title game? It's not just SEC fanboys that think OSU and the Big Ten suck ass.

7. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Title game should be Ohio State-LSU. OSU's schedule would make Bill Snyder blush, but what can you do? That leaves a two-loss team... and LSU has the best case of those two-loss team... and if their schedule isn't the toughest in the nation, it has to be in the top five, right?

What's going to piss me off is the fact that Illinois and Kansas -- two teams Missouri beat -- will go to the BCS instead of Mizzou. Illinois sure as shit doesn't deserve to be there... if you can't accomplish what Western Michigan did (winning at Iowa) you don't deserve it. And Missouri's second loss came because it handed Kansas its first loss.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

It's a lot simpler than you're making it.

Wins and losses have to mean something. That's number one. Especially in a year where it seemed like any team could get beat by any other team on its schedule, the strength of schedule argument loses a lot of water. Where does the computer rank Appy State? La. Monroe?

That said, losing a close game is a lot different than getting your ass handed to you.

LSU lost both of its games in multiple overtimes. That does count for something with me.

I wouldn't argue against Ohio State and Hawaii, however. Then, if LSU waxes whomever it plays, you can have a split national title. Happens all the time. BFD.

9. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

No argument there, Zeke.

We're almost to the point where there BETTER be a split national title. Because there's no way one team is going to be able to claim an undisputed title after this year.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

See, mustard, I knew you were one of the smart ones. ;)

11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Mustard, might be time to put a cap in it. The oh so typical SEC fanboy rantings get old. We get it, you think the SEC is jolly great keen, you think the Big 10 is horseshit, you think tOSU has no business in this discussion because of their schedule, and I'm sure you probably think LSU/Ga would be a perfectly appropriate title game. We got it the first half-dozen times.

12. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Tell you what, Stoney. Show me ONE SPOT where I've said that. In fact, I've listed how I'd rank the top six. But here it is again, since you apparently can't read:

LSU, Oklahoma, Southern Cal, Va. Tech, Ohio State, Georgia.

And if having LSU No. 1 or thinking Ohio State hasn't played ANYBODY makes me a shill, then I'm guilty as charged.

I've also said that whichever of the top six teams that isn't in the BCS title game that wins most impressively should win the AP national title.

Draft saved Draft deleted