1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running BCS selection show thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Oz, Dec 2, 2007.

?

Who do you believe should play in the BCS title game?

1. Ohio State

69 vote(s)
    55.6%
  2. LSU

63 vote(s)
    50.8%
  3. Oklahoma

25 vote(s)
    20.2%
  4. Virginia Tech

6 vote(s)
    4.8%
  5. USC

17 vote(s)
    13.7%
  6. Georgia

17 vote(s)
    13.7%
  7. Kansas

15 vote(s)
    12.1%
  8. Hawaii

31 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

So, what happens if Ohio State goes to the BCS title game and plays LSU/Virginia Tech/Hawaii/Kansas/Oklahoma/USC and WINS? Does that mean they got lucky?

Taking it a step further, what happens if, not only Ohio State wins the BCS title, but the Big Ten goes, say 7-3 in bowl games?

But, nah, that could never happen. Because, college football is an exact science and SOOOOO predictable.

I love how people can't get past Ohio State going 11-1 on the field and losing to a pretty decent Illinois (9-3) team, but they're willing to forgive LSU for losing to Kentucky (7-5) and Arkansas (6-6); Oklahoma for losing to Texas Tech (8-4) and Colorado (6-6) and USC for losing to Stanford (4-8) and Oregon (8-4).

Oh, but I forget, Ohio State got crumiliated last year against Florida. Yeah, that's it. And teams have never, ever lost bad in title games before. (/cough Nebraska 62, Florida 24)

It just amazes me how everyone has all the answers, and knows for a fact their answers are right.

The fact is that there are several teams who have a claim to play in the BCS title game. And this debate will last for months and months, even after the BCS title game.

2. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

If Ohio State plays LSU and wins, they get the BCS national title.

If SoCal or Oklahoma or Georgia or Va. Tech or Hawaii, for that matter beats the hell out of another team in this list, I'd love to see them get the AP title.

3. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

I'd put in Oklahoma and LSU. The Sooners' second loss came with their QB knocked out. If Bradford is healthy, they win that game and they're a lock for the BCS championship.

Two wins over Missouri, which is 11-0 against everyone else, are more impressive than anything OSU has done.

4. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Stagger,

The difference between OSU's losses and everybody else's losses is that everybody else can point to equally impressive victories. LSU's got a ton. Oklahoma just pasted No. 1. Even VaTech's got very good wins (including a neutral-field one over a team that beat it).

OSU can point to what, exactly? That one win over Wisconsin. And nothing else. Nothing at all.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Yoou mean Va Tech, which lost to LSU by 42 points?
    Or Georgia which lost to 4-loss Tennessee by 21?
    You can't mean it.

6. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

stagger-

the backlash is tough, but given the ridiculous hype tOSU's braindead stenographers at ESPN, etc. doled out last year, and given the end result (an absolute PASTING by a team that was pretty much in a war every week in its conference), it's well-deserved.

the country is f-in' sick of tOSU getting a free pass here, there, and everywhere.

7. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

My point is that we don't know, do we? What if Ohio State's win at Michigan was more impressive than LSU's win over Auburn? We don't know. Auburn lost to South Florida and struggled against Kansas State. LSU's win over Florida is mighty impressive, I will give them that. But Alabama? South Carolina (a team 3-9 UL Laugh-e-yet played with for four quarters)? Ole Miss? Mississippi State?

How do we know all of those LSU wins were impressive? Didn't Ole Miss lose to a Division I-AA team also? And they had LSU on the ropes. Didn't Alabama lose to UL Monroe at HOME? And they had LSU beat until the fourth quarter?

There's absolutely too much uncertainty in college football to be certain that one team's resume is more impressive than the others. Especially when that resume is built in large part due to rankings which have been proven to be flawed all season.

That's all I'm saying.

8. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

EVERYBODY'S got some combination of shitty loss(es) or bunch of wins over shitty competition.

The fact is, every single team is flawed. I'd have no problem if any of six teams eventually won the national title (assuming a win in its BCS game)

LSU, OU, SoCal,VaTech, OSU, Georgia. And I'd probably rank them in that order.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Paul McCartney wept.

It comes down to a priori assumptions, that four-loss Auburn and four-loss Tennessee are a given to be better than Wisconsin and Michigan teams with similar marks. With all the powerhouse teams, you can point out games where they were challenged by an inferior opponent (OU vs. Iowa State, for example). That's the way it is in the land of scholarship limits. Which is why we need a playoff to truly settle things.

10. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

stagger-

the big 11 does itself no favors by having a team who played for the conference championship lose to app. state at home.

11. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Stagger,

I don't disagree. We don't REALLY know which conference is the best. But we've got 14 weeks of results to go by. And if the BCS is the best we can do, rankings-wise, then don't we have to go by that?

I can't find any ranking system anywhere that indicates the Big Ten is anything other than the fifth- or sixth-best conference. Why should that champ be rewarded for winning its conference? Particularly when its nonconference schedule was so laughable?

At least VaTech and LSU played another power. And I'm not going to penalize SoCal too much for losing to Oregon, as someone else did. That was a pretty damn fine team when Dixon was healthy.

12. Key

Key Well-Known Member

Stagger,
    Not that it really matters in the grand scheme of things, but Arkansas finished 8-4 this year and Ole Miss did not lose to a I-AA team. The Rebels edged Northwestern State by a touchdown.

Draft saved Draft deleted