1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running BCS selection show thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Oz, Dec 2, 2007.

Who do you believe should play in the BCS title game?

1. Ohio State

69 vote(s)
  2. LSU

63 vote(s)
  3. Oklahoma

25 vote(s)
  4. Virginia Tech

6 vote(s)
  5. USC

17 vote(s)
  6. Georgia

17 vote(s)
  7. Kansas

15 vote(s)
  8. Hawaii

31 vote(s)
  1. Oz

Oz Active Member

Just curious to see where SportsJournalists.com falls on this issue, because I'm having a tough time filling out my SportsJournalists.com ballot tonight. Seems like it's easier to build a case against these teams as opposed to for them, but these eight flawed teams are the ones in the running when the selection show comes tomorrow night.

And no, I will not vote for KU, because I'm not a homer like that.
  2. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Well, there are four votes. And I didn't vote for Kansas or Hawaii....
  3. Oz

Oz Active Member

I haven't voted yet, but I can assure you I won't vote for KU. Hawaii, maybe. I need to sleep on it.
  4. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Active Member

In answer to your questions:

1) Me.

2) Spite. :D
  5. Apparently the national title game will be between a one-loss team and perhaps a two-loss team. How crazy is that? Most years it's a pair of undefeated clubs.
    When was the last time a two-loss team actually won a title? Ever?
  6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I voted for Kansas and Hawaii :D
  7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

off the top of my head, i'm going to guess minnesota in 1960.
  8. soccer10k

soccer10k Member

That was a split National Title and it was the only time ever that a 2-loss team has ever won any part of a National Title in I-A college football.

And my votes are for Hawaii and Ohio State.
  9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

wow, i pull something off the top of my head, was right, and then you get all technical on me? that and you voted for hawaii?
  10. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

There's a story on espn.com with the headline, "Will the BCS get it right?" My answer to that is, there IS no right.

You can make a good case for half a dozen teams. It is what it is, and just because two teams end up 1-2 in the BCS standings doesn't make it right.
  11. soccer10k

soccer10k Member

Hey, what can I say. I'm full of knowledge.

As for the Hawaii part, I flipped a coin.
  12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This would be a good year for the old system, where there were conference tie-ins for the bowls and that was the end of it. No BCS championship game, just a poll after the bowls. That way, if Ohio State beat USC in the Rose Bowl (ha!) they would be consensus champ, and at least four of the claimants would have a case.
    Or we could have a playoff if college presidents weren't the scum of the earth (wait till your kids start dealing with college SportsJournalists.commers, you'll agree with me.) But the BCS system is the worst of both worlds. It's a polling system that PRETENDS to be a real championship competition. Disgusting to anyone who has respect for the basic principles of sports.
    My interest in college football goes DOWN after the regular season is over, and I don't believe I'm alone.
Draft saved Draft deleted