1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running BCS championship game thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Johnny Dangerously, Jan 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Re: Official, soon-to-be-running BCS championship game thread

[​IMG]

THE END

2. KP

KP Active Member

Can't find the running regular bowl thread. But Mushnick had a good column Friday agreeing with us that thought FOX was getting a little happy with the crowd shots.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/01052007/sports/cant_be_fan_of_reaction_shots_sports_phil_mushnick.htm?page=0

3. DyePack

DyePack New Member

At last, someone with a grasp of reality.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I think OSU will be able to score, and I think their coaches are as good as you'll find, but I think Florida's speed on offense could give OSU some problems as well. I think OSU has a great front seven, but the db's could be lacking a little if Florida tries to go over the top with Harvin and Baker.

With the way Florida spreads the field, it may negate OSU's linebackers a little and force them into more nickel and dime sets.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

ESPN just showed the interior of the Florida locker room for the game. They had Blue jerseys laid out. Doesn't the No.1 team usually get to wear it's home colors?

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Maybe they're superstitious because they wore white when they beat the Canes in the Fiesta Bowl?

My only theory, not sure how that works.

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Jim Walden, who was the only person to vote for Florida over Ohio State in the Harris Poll, checks in ...
    "I just simply believe I’m right,” said Walden, who coached at Washington State and Iowa State. "I think Ohio State’s gotten a free pass as No. 1 all year long. I don’t know who ordained it. I think Ohio State’s had a much easier road to get where they are than Florida has. They’ve both won 12 games, but the Gators have played more good teams and beaten more good teams. Yeah, Florida lost a game, but I think the win in the SEC Championship Game more than offset that.
    "You had Ohio State and Michigan 1-2 in the Big Ten, but other than Wisconsin, nobody else in the league’s worth a lick. It’s a soft league."

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Was that a recent story Jay? I remember seeing a story about that when the last poll came out.

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Those quotes sound familiar to me too. I'd bet they're from a story right after the last poll came out. Of course, it's possible he's stated his case so often, it's fairly standard by now.

10. JayFarrar

It is from a Jan. 5 Randell Mell column in the Sun-Sent. The column also gets into the guy who kept voting for 'Bama in '92 and how he was hated, but then ended up being the grand marshall in the Tide's celebration parade...

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/columnists/sfl-spmellbcs05jan05,0,7638238.column?coll=sfla-sports-col

11. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Here's an AP piece by Greg Bell from Dec. 5

http://www.sunherald.com/mld/sunherald/sports/16167408.htm

"And why is Ohio State being given a pass? That is not the No. 1 team based on schedule quality," Walden said, who earlier this season had voted the Buckeyes No. 1 for about a month.

Walden was asked how many times he has seen the Gators play this season.

"I haven't seen Florida play. But I used to be a Miami Hurricane. I hate the damn Gators," Walden said.

"I've been taking Alka Seltzer since I voted for them."

12. JayFarrar

In the S-S column it gets into how little coverage Walden got for his vote. Said everyone was focused on Tressel skipping the vote. But it did get a little and some of the quotes might be from December, and some might be more current.
    I was just wondering what the Big 11 fanboys thought of the "it's a soft league" quote. You know the ones who don't think any team is worthy of playing Ohio State.
    Sort of like the Onion article from a couple of weeks ago.
    For my money, I say Southern Cal is the best team in college football and would have drilled Ohio State or Florida in a title game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.