1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Baseball VII (or second half I, if you like)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Jul 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I swapped PMs about this the day of the all-star game, but I'll throw it out here:

Ichiro=HOF?

I think so, but with three years left before he's eligible (hi buckdub), I guess anything can happen. He'll likely have seven 200-hit seasons by season's end, and everyone with that many is already in the hall. At his current pace he could be one of the fastest to 3,000 hits.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

We usually let running baseball threads get to at least 40 pages, IIRC.

3. novelist_wannabe

Do we? 36 seemed like a lot, but Ok. IF the mods want to nuke this one, who am I to stop them?

4. MilanWall

MilanWall Member

Would his Japanese league stats be taken into consideration at all? It is just the "National Baseball Hall of Fame," right? I don't see "Major League Baseball" anywhere in that name. Somehow I doubt they'd be taken into much consideration, though, since Sadaharu Oh's not in the Hall of Fame.

Even if you only take MLB stats, I think he's in.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

No, they won't take Japanese stats in consideration (although why we don't, I dunno; after all, we're able to elect Negro Leaguers without a complete statistical comparison -- and the Ohs and Nagashimas weren't allowed to play in MLB back then, either.)

But Ichiro's in, based completely on his merits in MLB. That's all he needs.

6. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

The last one was Spanish, though. It translated to more than 40 pages.

7. novelist_wannabe

I don't know ... if you take the exchange rate of pesos to dollars, it's probably still on its first page

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

So, is it going to be good or bad Zambrano today?

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Spanish baseball thread title got peso discounting.

10. Simon_Cowbell

real fucking good early on.

11. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Threw this on the other thread as well, but what the hell.

I would say yes to Ichiro if he continues to play as he has. He's been the best leadoff hitter in the majors since he arrived, broke the single season hits record and has played great outfield in right and center.

He has almost 1,500 hits at this point, and hasn't had less than 200 in any season. Keep up that pace with his new contract, and he's on track to reach 2,700+. Add in his 1,278 in Japan, and he would hit 4,000 for his career.
    Sure sounds like a HOF'er to me.

12. Simon_Cowbell

yes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.