1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Baseball Trade Deadline Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chi City 81, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

He does still swing the heaviest bat in the majors, I believe.

2. I want somebody to at least keep Julio around until he does indeed hit 50 next August, the corny trivia buff in me thinks that would be cool.

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Coupla Braves thoughts:

Franco pulled a hit yesterday, but he's been an opposite-field hitter since 2001. On top of that, the Mets really didn't give the guy a chance, as has been noted. I think that as much as anything is why he has started the last few games for Atlanta. Cox wants to get him going.

Second:
    A deal for Teixeira would be outside the Braves' MO for the past five years, a function of the anal-retentive bean counters at AOL Time Warner (the conspiracy theorist in me can't help but wonder if they're all Mets fans ...). Still, it wouldn't be without a Schuerholz precedent. Fred McGriff, anyone? That's the same deal, although you could argue that Saltalamacchia is a better prospect than Melvin Nieves was. Recognizing that there isn't any legitimate pitching help to be had, Schuerholz is likely thinking he better get all the offense he can get.

4. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Salty is a nice prospect, but the Braves don't have anywhere to put him with McCann behind the plate. If they can swing a Salty-for-Tex deal, it'll be a coup.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

My son will shit a brick if Salty gets traded.

The Nats future, meanwhile, will be built around Ronnie Belliard and Dmitri Young. So I think I'll sit trading day out. Ask me how many F-bombs I've dropped recently. I mean, those guys are having nice years. But long term, even only two years? Puh-lease.

7. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Yeah. The Belliard deal, in particular, is baffling.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

That one didn't bother me as much as $10 million for Dmitri Young. As one of the bloggers I read - yes, blogger - noted, they now have a ton of money tied up in two first basemen. There's talk of young moving to the outfield if he loses 20 pounds. My blogger guy (www.dcbb.blogspot.com) noted they must mean per limb.

Young is a hell of a story. Great year, deserved his all-star spot. Maybe he's turned his life around. So get two prospects for him and say thanks.

9. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

True, true. I agree they would've been better off trading Young.

I can't see Young being a useful OF. But maybe they know something we don't know about Nick Johnson. And $5M a year isn't too bad if Meat produces at his career-average clip (2006 notwithstanding).

As a Cubs fan, I'm almost hopeful my team doesn't make any moves, considering almost all the speculation I've seen has them moving Murton, Pie, Sean Marshall and/or Rich Hill. I don't want to see any of those guys traded.

10. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

The Cubs would be beyond nuts to trade any of those guys, particularly Pie. Couldn't you just see that one going all Brock-for-Broglio on them? Not saying Felix Pie is going to turn into a Hall of Famer, but he's definitely talented. Same for Murton and Marshall. And now that Dusty's out of town, the young pitchers don't have to worry about their arms falling off after their 200 IP on August 1.

I'm hoping the Braves land Tex. I love Salty, but I feel sorry for the guy and by now, it's almost better he's gone. I know it's a business, but the guy has had to sit there the past week and endure all this trade talk, and it would make for a very awkward next two months if the deal falls through. Besides, the kid wants to catch and it's obvious that Atlanta isn't dealing McCann.

Either way, I'll still only be able to watch them once a week because those bastards at TBS keep taking them off TV.

11. OJ1414

OJ1414 Member

Yeah, I've been reading the Rangers' Gerald Laird in a deal that includes Felix Pie. I like Laird and wouldn't mind seeing him behind the plate, but I don't want him if the cost is Pie. I can't see them trading Hill or Marshall at this point. I really nope not, at least.

12. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Julio Franco has no power, can't pull the ball, and has all the speed of a truck in cement. Other than that, he's a great player.

He's a great clubhouse guy, but so was Joe McEwing.

The Mets are going to add a bonafide Hall of Famer after the break. The question is, despite bringing Pedro back into the mix, can Minaya add set up men who don't suck?

The Crawford deal would be great for the Mets, simply because it would force either Alou or Shawn Green to the bench.

Draft saved Draft deleted