1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Baseball Trade Deadline Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chi City 81, Jul 30, 2007.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Julio Franco is no longer a reliable bat off the bench. You might notice he is hitting .217 for the season and is 6 for 30 since the Braves picked him up.
    Why do you think the Mets dumped him?

2. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

To drop their average age slighty below yours?

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Hey, I think the Giants average age is slightly above mine!

4. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

You mean the team that used to play at the Polo Grounds? The New York baseball Giants?

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

The Braves would have Tex for the rest of this season and all next year, to remind him about his glory days in college with Georgia Tech.

6. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

Franco isn't going to hit .300--I won't argue with you on that. But when a guy has 50 ABs in 100 games, I'm not exactly expecting him to set the world on fire. Pinch hitting and/or playing once every five days or so is a bitch.

But Franco can still put a bat on the ball. He's not going to provide a much-needed bat, but he's not a terrible option off the bench late in a game. At the least, he still handles the bat well enough to move runners and drive in a few runs.

7. CollegeJournalist

OK. I wasn't sure if he was a FA after this season or the next, and like I said, I didn't really feel like looking it up.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

You obviously did not watch him in NY this year where he was totally unproductive.

9. CollegeJournalist

Sure didn't. Don't get much Mets baseball down here. But he looked alright today.

Like I said, he's not going to be an everyday player or even a great bat off the bench. But he's not completely terrible.

Reliable was the wrong word. Better than Peter Moylan isn't.

Plus, on a team that's still pretty young, he's a good clubhouse guy (isn't that the official indictment that it's time to hang it up?).

I like Julio, so I'm trying to justify having the guy around somehow.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

I like Julio, too. Did a nice job for the Mets last year and he is a real good clubhouse guy, especially with younger Latino players.

But, trust me, he's done. Hasn't pulled the ball all year.

11. CollegeJournalist

I noticed today that he wasn't even LOOKING to pull the ball. That's fine if a guy is known as a slap hitter or battling out of a slump. But for a guy who's always been a decent hitter, not even trying to pull the baseball is a surefire sign that the hands have slowed down a little.

I guess they tend to do that around 50.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Exactly, CJ. All he can do now is slap it to the right side.

Draft saved Draft deleted