1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Baseball Trade Deadline Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chi City 81, Jul 30, 2007.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

The Mets win the division if Petey is his old self. There is no guarantee of that. What seems more likely is some wild slugfests between Atlanta and NY the rest of the way.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

If I have the numbers right, Morris is due $9.5 million in 2008, not to mention about $3 million the rest of this year. Exactly who in the Pirates' front office does Brian Sabean have dirt on? There is absolutely no reason for the Pirates to be adding, especially at that kind of financial price tag.

I've written it more than once on here, but it bears repeating. The system currently in place in Major League Baseball is unfair to low-revenue teams like the Pirates, but it is not the main reason that the Pirates have sucked so long. Stupidity like what they displayed in this deal is.

3. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

They must be picking him up to peddle again to a contender, knowing he'll definitely clear waivers. Knowing the Pirates, he won't.

4. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

from mlb.com:

Morris, 32, was 7-7 with a 4.35 ERA. Giants general manager Brian Sabean said that Pittsburgh will pick up the remainder of his salary. Morris is in the second year of a three-year contract that pays him $9.5 million both this year and next season. The deal includes a $9 million club option for 2009 with a $1 million buyout.

5. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

You folks must all be asleep, not noting that the guy the Phillies traded for Mateo is Jesus.

Bill Bavasi must have learned his tendencies to pick up players he's familiar with--Scott Spezio comes to mind--from Pat Gillick.

Mateo can pitch when he's throwing strikes. The Phillies may like him a lot...as a pitcher. The wife-biting, not so much. Hopefully he'll get that under control, or get fitted with a good mouthguard.

6. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

This isn't the big trade deadline date anyway. I'm actually more interested to see what the Giants do when Bonds hits No. 756 and the very next day the Giants put his arse on waivers in the month of August!!!!

7. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Somebody got that on page 6, but nobody commented on it. It's Julio Mateo. Enough said.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I actually think Morris is a nice fit as a Game 3 starter in the NLCS.

Maybe the Pirates are looking at next season. Snell, Gorzelnanny, Morris, Duke, and Maholm is not the worst rotation in the league and probably in the upper half.

Maybe the Buccos will break .500 next season. Maybe.

I just wish they would think a little more before blowing the payroll. It's like watching a person making $8.00 an hour buying a high def TV.

9. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

This has to be it.

10. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

My first sentence was meant literally. I knew the Mateo trade had been mentioned, but not the name of the player the Phillies traded. My lame attempt at humor.

As for Mateo, he has pitched well at times and poorly at others. He has been closing sucessfully in Tacoma, and the PCL is known for hitters' parks and inflated averages. If Mateo can keep his mind on his business, he will be a good acquisition for the Phillies. The M's absolutely would have brought him up if not for his baggage. This is a trade that could have an important effect on the NL East race.

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I love that Omar Minaya didn't add another reliever to the Mets bullpen. I'm sure that won't come back to bite the organization in the ass.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Did you want to give up Milledge or Gomez AND a pitcher for Chad fucking Cordero?

Draft saved Draft deleted