1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Baseball Trade Deadline Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chi City 81, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

With people talking about actual games on the original thread, maybe it's best to put trades, rumors, etc. on its own thread.

Who are buyers and who are sellers right now? Do the Marlins give up and trade Dontrelle? Will the Braves pony up for Teixeira?

Less than 48 hours to go, folks. What will happen?

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Once again, Dontrelle is not going anywhere.

I think the only deal of major impact will be the Braves getting Teixiera, if they want to give up the heavy price the Rangers are asking.
    Otherwise, a bunch of mid-level to minor deals, but nothing breathtaking.

I did hear one rumor from a friend who runs a baseball academy in NJ that the Mets have talked to the D-Rays about Carl Crawford for Milledge and a pitcher (not Pelfrey or Humber). I'd do that in a heartbeat... but it ain't gonna happen.

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

If the Yankees trade anything other than 28-year-old A prospects or one-armed rookie league catchers for Javier Vasquez or Jose Contreras, that new Yankees cap of mine is getting sacrificed. We went that route before. Didn't really work.

4. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Shouldn't you rename this thread the non-waiver trade deadline thread? :)

I'm still kind of in shock that two non-contending teams traded possible valuable pieces to each other (Wigginton for Wheeler).

I agree Teixeira will be gone (and I eagerly await his arrival in Baltimore in 2009 ;) :)).

Some team will overpay for bullpen help as well.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

The Yankess are not looking to trade for starting pitching, Meat. They are going with Wang, Pettitte, Clemens, Mussina and Hughes.
    They are looking primarily for bullpen help (desperately) and considering such addition by subtraction moves as giving Kyle Farnsworth away.
    Gammons actually said tonight the Tigers might be intersted in Farnsworth. Why?

6. pallister

pallister Guest

I gotta believe Jermaine Dye gets moved if Williams is offered a couple of prospects. Dye hasn't had much of a year, but he had a career season last year and is hot right now. I haven't been following any of the rumors, but he'd look pretty good on any of the three light-hitting NL West teams within a half-game of one another.

EDIT: Jose Contreras isn't worth a pack of Big League Chew right now. Vazquez signed a deal in the offseason; he's not going anywhere.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Wheeler has not been very valuable this year, Lantaur.. and Wigginton is nothing but a mediocre journeyman...nice back up.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I predict the Twins won't add a bat.

9. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Seems like the Astros are counting on Wigginton to be their everyday third baseman...though it shouldn't be hard for him to be an upgrade over Ensberg with the way he was playing this year.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Why would the Twinkies need to add a bat now that Jason Tyner has found his home run stroke?

11. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Nothing major, maybe Teixeira getting moved. Phillies, what's better out there than what they have? The Yankees? I really think the same way. They're playing better and is there really anyone out there who can help them?

Some mid-levels, the Padres need a pitcher now with Young out. Giants might get rid of some people not named Barry. The Red Sox? A bat off the bench maybe. See what Schilling does until the middle of August.

Yawn!

12. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

One thing I see shaping around this trade deadline is the need for power bats within the NL East. New York, Philadelphia and Atlanta each see that they only have two or three decent starters to keep them in a game. The NL East is going to be won on firepower, not pitching as the season progresses. When Pedro comes back, he will make a decent contribution to the Mets, but nothing outstanding. The Phillies have the most potent offense out of the bunch, but they still need to click on all cylinders. The Mets have a strong offense, but they are still going to go after a second baseman to help them out. Those 2B on the market are more offensive minded than anything. That leaves Atlanta, who probably will get Teixiera. Adding Teixiera to a mix of the Joneses and Renteria, fireworks will be displayed during NL East games in the late summer and early fall.

Draft saved Draft deleted