1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Baseball Thread XIV: AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Sep 23, 2007.

1. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Even if they tie, the Yankees would win the division on the head-to-head tiebreaker. So Bucky Dent 2007 would be Derek Jeter, last week.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Oh I know. But if I fall one save or a fraction of an ERA/whip/K-BB point short...there will be hell to pay. HELL.

3. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

So ... no one else got a comment on the Milton Bradley thing?

Even for him, this is weird.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

It sucks that he probably blew his knee out, and if Bradley's explanation is accurate, then that umpire deserves to be suspended a long time.

That said, this probably doesn't happen if Bradley's not one of the hottest heads in the game. Umpires aren't taking any shit from him. If you go apeshit enough and you fashion a rep as the ticking timebomb of baseball long enough, well, you lose any benefit of the doubt when your bat ends up in the general vicinity of the umpire (it was hard to tell from that rant what set the whole thing off...thought it was the first base ump thinking Bradley threw the bat at him) after you are called out on strikes. So it sucks this happened, but when your reputation precedes you, shit like this happens.

I also got a kick out of Bradley saying he's never hurt anyone. How about your wife?

5. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

It would be hard to cover this story without at least a vague idea what the ump said. All I've seen so far is it wasn't racial.

6. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Bradley after the game.

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3033615&n8pe6c=2

Is there video of what happened on the field?

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I haven't seen any clips, but how would an ump cause the knee injury?

8. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Quite possibly the funniest video ever

...this is unbelievable...

You're going to have to work awfully hard to find a video funnier than this one today. Milton Bradley, kids. He's world class.

9. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Clavin

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Unbelievable that the ump started chirping at Bradley almost as soon as Bradley got to first base.

Winters appears to be 100% wrong here but, of course, Bradley's reputation automatically makes him the bad guy.

11. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Anybody else think Bradley was faking the knee injury? I didn't see anything that looked like it would have hurt him that badly.

Never mind. Watched it again, and it does look like the knee got tweaked a little. I wouldn't be surprised if Bradley is milking it a bit, though.

12. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Oh sure, they can make the playoffs, with all that momentum and with another unprecedented divisional lead flushed. The Globe began yacking about it last week - it's incredulous the resignation Boston approaches life with when it comes to anything Yankee. 2004 was indeed one of those shake-the-earth things that comes along every, oh, 86 years.

Draft saved Draft deleted