1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Baseball Thread XIV: AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Sep 23, 2007.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I think that's a fair deal. And considering the season he's had, I don't think it's too much of a low-ball offer.

That said, I think $8M is a steal for the Braves. They should be thrilled if they can keep him at that price.

I think $12M is a steal for Jones, though. If he goes open market, he might get it. More likely, he'll get $10M.

I think Atlanta should go up to $9.5M for him ... but not $10M. If he wants to take $10M from someone else, hey, thanks for the memories and please don't stay in the division. But if the Braves can get him for under eight figures ... they should do it.

I'm convinced he added about 20 career victories for Glavine and Maddux, all by himself. I'm convinced they'll miss him.

They do have that wiggle room, with Teixeira. They shouldn't be afraid to let him go, if the price gets too high.

But ... I don't want to see Andruw leave for the same reasons, ahem, Glavine did. If he's not demanding too much -- and your "rat bastard traitor" didn't, dammit :D -- I hope they find a way to make it work.

2. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

The Phillies may need a new center fielder if Rowand walks after this year. As a fan, I wouldn't mind having Andruw Jones in the line-up. So what if Howard and Jones will strikeout more than CradleRobber at a frat party. Rollins-Victorino-Utley-Howard-Jones-Burrell. Not bad at all.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Would the Braves be better off going for Hunter or Rowand? Both are having better all-around seasons than Andruw. And if Atlanta can steal Rowand from the Phillies with Jones leaving the division -- or the league -- than maybe it'll be better than re-signing him. Just a thought.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Rowand is going to D.C., so you may get your wish.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I'd rather they keep Jones. Faults and all.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I'm still trying to figure out why they haven't burned down RFK yet. What a blight!

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Today was the final game there.. time for the wrecking ball ASAP!

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Not quite yet.
    DC United baby!

9. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

A good ol' soccer riot should bring it to the ground.

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Oh yeah, and the District government is having a tough time getting them a stadium. Surpriiiiiiiise.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

The only team worth watching at RFK.

12. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Clever, yet subtle. Nice work.

Draft saved Draft deleted