1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Baseball Thread XIV: AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Sep 23, 2007.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Didn't it always used to be the hill?

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I agree, and I'm a Yankees fan. Didn't want Damon either.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

IIRC, I'm pretty sure it used to be "the bump" (although it's back en vogue now, even though it doesn't make sense anymore.) It came from back in the Dead Ball Era when pitcher's mounds weren't as, ahh, well-developed as they are today. Some of the shitty mounds really were just a bump of dirt, with a rubber "slab" implanted in the middle.

"The hill" is a more recent slang term.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

It still is unless you're a fuckwit talking TV hairdo who's trying to be hip.

I blame Chip Caray for this. He's the first guy I heard use the term. Maybe Joe Carter taught it to him.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

How did I keep Abreu out of the Yankee OF? What was I thinking?

I do not see Andruw coming to the Yanks. Not with the way Melky played this year. Re-sign Melky.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

They don't have to "re-sign" Melky. He can't go anyware unless they release him. Hasn't even reached arbitration yet.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

OK, thanks.

I just saw that he inked a one-year deal this year. Didn't think about releasing him.

8. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Sorry, Bubbler:

http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20071003&content_id=2247917&vkey=news_mil&fext=.jsp&c_id=mil

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I had already resigned myself to that fate.

What the Brewers (and Mets in Randolph's case) are doing is inviting angst, fear and loathing upon their organization. Faith has been lost in Yost, so the minute something goes wrong, the heat is on.

If a manager doesn't have built-in capital within an organization, and Yost has little despite the Brewers' improvement since he arrived, why not just cut ties and prevent the rancor from happening and the rot from taking hold? The Brewers are inviting the kind of dissension that can knock a young team off-kilter.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Personally I think this is a tremendous move on the Brewers' part.

11. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Go get fucked with Will Ohman's dick.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

God I can't wait for the Diamondbacks to stomp a mudhole in the Cubs' postseason. Enjoy stroking your billy goat or whatever it is you Cubs fans do. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted