1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Baseball Thread, Part the XII

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chi City 81, Aug 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

People forget how good Mitch Williams was at one point because eventually the wildness got to be too much. Dempster has never been as good a closer as Williams at his best. But he is their best option at this moment. Howry has always been better in a set-up role and do you really want to turn the 9th inning over to a young kid like Marmol when the veteran is doing an ok job?

I do think they should open it up and give Marmol the opportunity to win the job next spring. He has been outstanding this year.

2. casty33

casty33 Active Member

If I may be allowed to repeat what I wrote here more than a week ago, before the Mets-Phillies series. The Mets will be out of first place by Sept. 15 is what I wrote then. I was wrong. It will be a lot sooner than Sept. 15.

And for all Jose Reyes MVP folks, I like the guy, too, but his bat has disappeared the last two weeks. He still helps with his legs but right now David Wright is the Mets' MVP. As for league MVP, almost impossible to decide right now. Let's see if Fielder can get the Brewers back on top and check out Howard-Rollins as the Phillies come down the stretch.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'm not saying Dempster is a bad pitcher. I watched him a lot over the past few seasons, and it seemed like he puts most games in jeopardy. I think, as long as the Cubs don't go after a stopper in the offseason, Marmol will definitely get the chance to close in spring training. I thought they should have went with Juan Cruz a few years ago, but that was when he struck out just about everyone he saw in April.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Hey... Ryan Howard disappeared for the final three weeks last year, and you nuts gave MVP to him.

If things go as they have been the past week, Reyes will not be MVP.

But, as of yesterday when I posted, there shouldn't be anyone close.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Reyes is my pick right now, right along with Prince Fielder. But I think it's a lot closer than some people want to believe. I think it's still a wide-open race in the NL. In the AL, I don't see a third name behind Rodriguez and Ordonez.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Ummm ... yeah ...

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

David Wright: .319 average, .414 OBP, .537 slugging, 24 HR, 87 RBI, 92 runs, 30 SB (in 34 attempts)
    Jose Reyes: .295 average, .369 OBP, .433 slugging, 9 HR, 48 RBI, 100 runs, 72 SB (in 89 attempts)

Sorry, but even 42 more steals don't make up for Wright's advantage in batting average, on-base percentage, slugging, homers and RBI. The only other edge Reyes has offensively is runs scored, but he's a leadoff guy and the difference is only eight.

And don't start with the distraction Reyes creates for Wright. They feed off each other and Wright also creates opportunities for the hitters behind him with his on-base percentage and speed. Pitchers can't exactly ignore Wright on the bases, either, and he's also on a good bit more than Reyes.

There are points worth arguing here, but there is no way you can rationally say that Wright isn't even close to Reyes right now as an MVP candidate.

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

But ... but ... if you factor steals into his slugging percentage, Reyes is slugging .912, which would be a record!

9. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I posted this on The XI Running Baseball Thread, but I think it bears repeating.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Wright's numbers are a byproduct of Reyes scaring the shit out of pitchers.

Mets' 2-4 don't see many breaking pitches when he is on base.

11. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I bet they make it.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Mets went 15-9 with Wright absolutely sucking the tailpipe in April.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.