1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Baseball Thread, Part the XII

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chi City 81, Aug 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

We've reached 40 pages on the last one; might as well start a new one. I think this is my first running MLB thread.

Cubs 2 1/2 up on the Brewers, 3 up on the Cardinals. I remain nervous as hell.

2. I can't imagine anything bad happening.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

[​IMG]

No, neither can I.

4. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Me neither.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Post a picture of Alex Gonzales booting the ball at short, and I'd agree. I was at the game; Bartman meant nothing, despite what a few thousand drunks and part-time fans think.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I couldn't find a picture of that play. Your argument reminds me of the old Bill Buckner debate about Bob Stanley and Calvin Schiraldi in 1986. If those to yahoos would have held the Mets down, the game most likely wouldn't have come down to Buckner and his weak knees.

7. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

McNamara is mainly to blame for the Sox' loss in 86. Yeah, Buckner, Schiraldi, Stanley all took big dumps, but McNamara is to blame. His failure to throw Oil Can (either in relief or to start Game 7) was a huge mistake. Pinch-hitting Greenwell instead of Baylor was stupid, too, as was leaving Buckner out there when Stapleton had been the defensive sub for Buckner all season. But Wilson might have made it to first even had Buckner fielded the ball cleanly. Mac's utter assclownery in handling the pitching staff was the main culprit.

8. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

Here's a guess; on September 1, Rick White will either be back in Tacoma or down the road. Just a guess, mind you. Looks like McClaren comes from the Earl Weaver school of reliever utilization: if you give 'em to me, I'm gonna use 'em.

It's time for Bavasi to take this one away.

Notification: the Mariners are officially not dead. Sez me.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Bartman and Buckner have that in common.

Their gaffes weren't even close to the most damaging plays in the meltdowns.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I think "Ryan Dempster" is Canadian for "Mitch Williams"

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I don't know. There was a point where Williams came out of that door and you believed the game was won. I've never gotten that feeling about Dempster. No matter what the stats say, I don't think I'd ever feel comfortable with him slinging in the ninth.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Mitch Williams' first appearance in Chicago, Opening Day 1989, Cubs lead the Phillies by one in the ninth

Hit
    Walk
    Walk
    Strikeout
    Strikeout
    Strikeout

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.