1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Baseball Postseason Thread No. 2 Take 2: Wish You Were Here, Derek Jeter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by imjustagirl, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Game hasn't started so I'm still within my self-imposed post ban on this thread for that game, but when I think of "loyal" fans I don't think Dodgers fans. Maybe it's that whole showing up late and leaving early shit, but I just don't see it.

And no, I'm not trying to pick a fight. Just asking. If someone proves me wrong, that's great. I'll gladly admit it.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

How exactly do you propose someone prove you wrong? Find youtube video of people in the stands before the game?

Doesn't really seem like something one could "prove" on a Web site.

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Simple enough: ever been to a game there? Or do you just sit on your perch 1,000 miles away and believe everything you read?

Showing up late:

Get off work at 5 or 6 in Los Angeles. Unless you work nearby, good luck getting to a 7 p.m. game on time.

Leaving early: well, people are constantly worried about traffic. They don't realize that if you leave late, it's greatly diminished.

Loyalty: seen the attendance figures? People show up no matter how good or bad the team is. And it's a city where they have better things to do than support a loser.

Now, in my experience Wrigley is full of drunk idiots who know shit about baseball. Prove me wrong.

(see how impossible that is?)

4. Tommy_Dreamer

Not the first time I worded something wrong I suppose. Can you forgive me :D

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

IJAG's on baseball threads?

WTF is going on, here?

6. Tommy_Dreamer

Said I wasn't trying to pick a fight, just asking somebody.

No I've never seen a game there. Probably never will, and I don't really consider it to be that big a loss, sorry.

Very valid points and thanks for "enlightening" a poor traveled soul.

7. imjustagirl

No, I was just wondering.

But it seems like Piotr did a pretty good job explaining it. :)

8. imjustagirl

So this ball is going to have to leave the park to score Ryan Howard from second, right?

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Re: Running Baseball Postseason Thread No. 2 Take 2: Wish You Were Here, Derek J

Sorry, TD, you're dead wrong about Dodgers fans. I'm not one of them, but even I can say they do NOT lack passion. They are absolutely on par with any team in the league. It's nuts out here.

10. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Dodger fans work just as hard as all the other fans!

11. Tommy_Dreamer

Again, thanks for the input. I'm dead to baseball in October usually because the Cubs don't do shit when they get there so ...

I rely on you super baseball fans to steer me back on the right track. I'm not afraid to admit I'm wrong. I've done it before on here. I'll probably have to do it again.

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

No problem, Tommy.

Actually seeing them have a chance for once has me on edge here, ready to defend the franchise against any attacks. Didn;t take it personally, but I do take it very seriously when people subscribe to the stereotypes.

Seen a game in Wrigley. It was OK. Not like Fenway, but it was interesting. Unique. Fun. And I'm pretty sure me and my buddy were the only ones in our section without beers.

Dodger Stadium is a nice place to see a game. But I'm biased.

Draft saved Draft deleted