1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Baseball Postseason Thread No. 1: Pee Wee's Playhouse

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dickens Cider, Sep 30, 2008.

?

Who will win the World Series?

1. Angels

17.2%
  2. Brewers

7.8%
  3. Cubs

12.5%
  4. Dodgers

4.7%
  5. Phillies

6.3%
  6. Rays

31.3%
  7. Red Sox

17.2%
  8. White Sox

3.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

He has to. I mean, does Vazquez even deserve to be on the playoff roster after his last two performances and history of failure in big spots?

2. pallister

pallister Guest

No. If he doesn't start him, he sure as hell can't be counted on for long relief. But I don't think Ozzie will leave him off. He and Dotel need to be tied to a chair in the team hotel and left there until the series is over.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'd fucking forfeit before I pitched Javier Vazquez in a game of any significance.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Come on, Phillies!

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I think the Rays are in trouble against the White Sox. As the season wrapped up, they started giving up home runs with frightening regularity and Chicago is a single-walk-homer type of team. Maybe having two days off helps the Rays' pitchers. Maybe. But the White Sox are coming in on a huge high from the past three days.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

... and pitching like it's 2005 again. Uh-oh.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

The Sox only gave up just 9 runs in a four-game series at the Trop in May, but they lost three of those game because they couldn't hit in the clutch. They're a better hitting team, but their pitching's worse.

EDIT: I hope you're right, buck, but I think the short rest may catch up to Floyd and Danks.

8. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I think it's a very interesting series. The Sox have a lot of momentum. The thing that worries me is how poorly the Sox play in domes - not just in Minneapolis. They lost 3 of 4 in Tampa (2 were excellent games IIRC though) and also played poorly in Toronto.

They are great at Comiskey though, so it wouldn't surprise me if they just have to win one in Tampa to win the series.

Edit: that lack of clutch hitting is what prompted Ozzie's rant about their inability to hit in the clutch.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Even if Tampa gets by the Sox it won't matter. The winner of the Angels-Boston series is going to win the ALCS.

10. pallister

pallister Guest

If the Sox get past the Rays, I like their chances against the Angels, but they can't beat the other Sox.

11. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

The White Sox definitely arn't winning the ALCS, but I wouldn't be so sure of the Angels-Boston winner taking the ALCS. I think the Rays pitching is good enough, and, if they can stay consistent, can shut down anyone. Their hitting can catch fire at a moment's notice, too. Even though they only hit .260 collectively as a team during the regular season.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Tampa's going to wilt under the pressure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.