1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Baseball Hot Stove Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Nov 1, 2010.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You do. BYH is just letting his hatred for all things Mets color his judgement.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Hey, at least their bullpen catcher wasn't caught with eight pounds of pot.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/cubs/2848554,CST-SPT-cub30.article

Good to know the ERAs weren't the only thing high out in the pen this season.

3. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Who's worried about it? What is this the fucking Bush administration?

4. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

What kind of clueless team lets this get out /BYH

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

I can think of a couple dozen other teams that would shove anything about the clubhouse manager under the rug. If you think differently, you've spent no time around a professional sports franchise. I'm sorry you root for a clown of a franchise that can't chew gum and walk at the same time and can't even conceal the dismissal of a middle management employee.

I can also think of a couple dozen other teams whose clubhouse attendants and PR guys are neither seen nor heard and don't somehow become faux celebrities. But that's another Mets speciality: Allowing behind-the-scenes dopes to become famous. Go ahead. Ask a Yankees fan to ID their PR guy and head clubhouse guy, or a Marlins fan, or an Angels fan. I'll be waiting for the answers.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

No. The Pirates are irrelevant (sorry, they are). They are expected to suck, b/c they don't try. The embarrassment receded a long time ago. When Bud wanted to try and fix them up, he sent them Frank Coonelly. Oohhh. Send a faceless, nameless lackey with a law degree to Pittsburgh.

The Mets are an embarrassment, year after year after year, with a payroll well into nine figures. And when Bud wanted to try and fix the Mets, he sent them Alderson--another lackey, but at least one with experience running, you know, a baseball team or two.

7. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Yeah, the Pirates suck but I still love them for whatever reason. I'm sure there's a circa-1987 hair band you feel the same way about.

One thing I never understood about the Mets under Minaya was their insistence on rarely, if ever, going above slot in the draft. You'd think a team with those kind of resources would use them for more than shitty free agents.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

To me, adding a lack of effort to the incredible incompetence is why they are so embarrassing. But it is true that they aren't wasting the resources that the Mets have.

9. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

I'm sure they were flaunting this information all over the place. Are you listening to yourself? Allowing behind the scenes guys to be famous? Really? You can blame them for bad personnel decisions and shitty ownership and be absolutely correct but blaming the Mets for some dumbass employee getting busted for illegal gambling and suggesting they could/should sweep it under the rug? That's dumb even for this site

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Well, let's see, it's been several hours and the only one to say I'm completely crazy and that teams with functional management would find a way to make sure this didn't hit the press is....a screeching Mets fan. I rest my case, and once again declare if you don't like reading the truth, there's a button on the left we can't talk about that you can hit. K? Thx bai.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

BYH is right. The Mets should never had allowed this to leak from the Queens DA's office. Jay should have been sitting on those guys.

12. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

How are supposed journalists criticizing someone for not sweeping something under the rug?

Draft saved Draft deleted