1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Baseball Hot Stove Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Nov 1, 2010.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Oh no. Captain Intangibles isn't going to stand for playing any other position. Better not piss him off by asking him to transition anywhere else no matter how worthless he gets on the field. ::)

Yankee haters everwhere are truly hoping Cashman is that dumb.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I don't think you'd see much defensive improvement by turning to a 35-year-old with a bad hip.

3. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

Manny Ramirez showed interest in playing in Toronto, do the Blue Jays end up signing him?

4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

- Riccardi is a good hire. As someone who dislikes the Mets (They're hard to hate, it's more like a sympathy for my friends who root for them), they have the right people in place and I don't doubt that they will be successful soon - damn.

- ARod will never play SS again, unless it's the 15th inning or so. Jeter going to 3rd might be a solution, but it's a very bad one.

- Manny will be interested in going to anywhere that offers him 2 years. The real question is can he still be an impact hitter - I think he can. He makes as much sense with the White Sox as anywhere else, if they can get past his audition.

-

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Did I really need to use the blue font there?

6. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Guiliani is a diehard Yankees fan, but even he knows the drill. If your girl is losing her looks and doesn't put out much, it's time to get a new girl. The Yankees likely will keep Jeter, and he'll be a liability to the team in terms of performance and economics. But I don't think that decision will be based on what the fans want.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Here's the best the Yankees can hope for with Jeter:

Three years, $60 million with an option for a fourth at another $20 mill. After two years, with his skills dimiished, they appeal to his pride to not embarrass himself with the following deal.

Retire gracefully and we'll pay you the remaining $40 mill over 10 years on a personal services contract to be the public face of the Yankees...a little community relations, a few publicity appearances a year, join the spring training special instructor staff, we have a big Derek Jeter Day, retire No. 2, put your plaque in Monument Park, etc.

8. HeinekenMan

I think that is where we'll end up.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I hope he holds out for a bigger plaque than Steinbrenner's, or maybe a monument.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

How can the Yankees NOT go four years for Jeter? They did so for Posada, and he played a position at which it was completely impossible to expect any sort of decent return on the deal.

The Yankees will not win another world championship with Jeter playing SS and/or batting leadoff. Please, by all means, four more years. Four more years. Four more years. The idea of watching Pasta Diving Jeter creaking around in 2013 and 2014 fills my blackened heart with glee.

And I always thought Posada hated Girardi b/c Girardi hung on for a couple extra years in NY and cost Posada the HOF. Look up the numbers. It's true.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

The only thing that cost Posada the Hall of Fame was Posada's inability to cacth any low pitch and his reluctance to block ther plate on anything resembling a close play.

12. HeinekenMan

Posada is Lance Parrish without defense. Parrish got less than 2 percent of the vote in 2001.

Draft saved Draft deleted