1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Baseball Hot Stove Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Nov 1, 2010.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

No, OOP, the smart thing is not to move on. The smart thing is to keep the fan base -- you know, the 3.5-4 million people who come to the ballpark every year, the millions more who buy Jeter jerseys -- happy and spending money so you can afford to give an New York icon a golden parachute.
    I realize small market teams can not do this. The Yankees can.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

No mention of the Tigers? They have a shit load of money to spend if Illitch decides to use it on baseball and not the Pistons.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You think being short-sighted is smart? Winning will keep the fan base. So, signing Jeter makes a few morons happy now. Those same morons will be screaming if the team isn't winning in two years.

But I will give you credit. That last sentence shows progress. You just aren't taking it far enough. If the Yankees are going to insist on having a limit somewhere near the current payroll, then this is every bit as stupid as if a small market did it. They are hurting their team for the sake of kissing the asses of an aging player and fans who don't know any better.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I doubted Jeter when he was hitting .190 into late May and he ended up near .300 which was unbelievable given that start. He had a bad year this year but its one out of 16. I'm thinking, against my Bosox leanings, that Jeter comes back strong and hits .310 next year. As for his range though, I'm thinking he's more Ripken than Vizquel at 36.

5. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Read that they may go after Victor Martinez pretty hard.

They've also been mentioned in the Carl Crawford race, but not sure how serious that would be.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

He ended up at .270. That is not close to .300.

He is 36. I certainly wouldn't want to bet on him rebounding to a level that he would be worth $20 million for even one season, much less four.

7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Until when? What if he wants 5/100M, or an identical deal to ARod - then what?

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

And they are going to hire J.P. Ricciardi, the smartest man in the history of baseball!!! (Just ask him!!) You just know Adam Dunn will be trying to figure out a way to get to the Mets.

Bonne chance Metropolitans!

http://nymag.com/daily/sports/2010/11/the_mets_hire_jp_ricciardi.html

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Jeter at at upwards of $20 million/season is a no-brainer considering the revenue he generates for the club. The contract will more than pay for itself. The tough part will be transitioning him out of shortstop ... stay tuned.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Transition him to where?

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Well, that's kind of the problem and I'm glad it's not mine.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Maybe he could switch places with ARod...

Draft saved Draft deleted