1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Australian Open Thread (2010 version)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Point of Order, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

This event sneaks up on me every year and i love it!

Sharapova 3 games away from a first-round exit on ESPN2.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah. Regardless of what the rankings and endorsements may say, Sharapova is no longer an elite player. The shoulder injury messed her up more than most of us realized. I doubt she will ever win another Grand Slam event, although the TV people will continue to give her the star treatment, for the same reasons they did so with Anna Kournikova years ago.

3. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

And Maria Kirilenko is smoking hot, by the way.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Andy Murray. Boosh!

5. hidden order

hidden order Member

Dunno. She just won Tokyo in October which is one title more than Anna had her entire career. Really she should’ve played Brisbane, but played South American, Hua Hin and Hong Kong exos instead. Normally that would be fine since she plays HK every year, but this was first year since 2004 she didn’t play the YEC. (Excluding 2008 post surgery.) So she hadn’t played a competitive match since October. The good thing is that it wasn’t the serve breaking down velocity wise this time. It just looked like normal rust from not playing important points and rust off the ground. She needs to play more tennis, but can’t play so much she reinjures her shoulder. Tough balancing act.

But I really like Kirilenko. She’s a nice player and I can never figure out why she just can’t put it together, other than lack of power, lack of confidence and recurring knee injuries. Last year before the US Open Adidas finally took the Stella line from her and gave it to Caro. That demotion seemed to motivate her a bit and she played well for a while. Hopefully last year’s US Open run and this win run will give her some confidence going into this season.

Thank goodness for the Belgians are back. Horrible draw for both though. I don’t know who will get out of that Group of Death Quarter: Kim/ Justine/ Elena/ Sveta/ Wickmayer/ Pennetta/ Nadia/ Pavs/ Dokic/ Rezai/ Kleybanova. 3 multiple slam winners. 7 current/former top 10 players and at least two future top 10 player in Pavs and Wickmayer. Four Belgians. That quarter could be a half.

Wickmayer squeaks by 10-8 in the 3rd after 3 qualifier matches. So now the Pennetta at No. 12 faces No. 16 in the SECOND round. Rematch of the Auckland final. Horrible luck for both. Unless she’s fatigued from qualifying Wickmayer should get through that one.

Watching Justine on now ESPN360 and it's back on serve. It looks like Flipkins is picking up where she left off in their exo. She played well there too. Not intimidated at all. Justine should pull through though.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Not as smoking as Sharapova (too many Marias in Russia) but I wouldn't kick her out of bed for eating crackers.

7. Point of Order

One of the commentators said Sharapova just signed a 8 year $70 million deal with Nike. They gotta be just thrilled with this.

8. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

I think those big-money contracts should come with a "If you lose before the third round, your commercials don't air and you don't get paid." Ala the Andy Roddick commercials a few years back when he lost early right when his commercials were starting to air during the entire U.S.Open.

9. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

And I'd love to hear a linesman call "foot fault" on Serena's first serve of the tournament, whether she does or not. Then just smile at her.

10. Point of Order

Now that's funny!

11. daveevansedge

daveevansedge Member

love the aussie open. usually get out of work at 11-ish, and can stay up to the wee hours watching the featured night matches. very cool.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Ooops. Federer drops the first set to Andreev

Draft saved Draft deleted