1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Aussie Open thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BTExpress, Jan 17, 2009.

1. joe king

joe king Active Member

Dulko played great until it was time to close out an important game. Then she missed ridiculously easy shots, like the one when she had Serena completely off the left side of the court and somehow missed the wide-open court to the right.

I was rooting for her because I like upsets and, yes, because she is smoking hot, and she has tremendous game, but she gagged big-time.

I will say, however, that the second set of that match was terrific tennis and even better theater. That 12-deuce game in which Dulko could have closed out the set (but didn't) was an epic.

2. joe king

joe king Active Member

That was a brilliant little backhand volley by Sugiyama, who seems to be hanging in pretty well against Jankovic.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

A little trouble outside the arena for Djokovic-Delic. Can't say that's a surprise.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I just watched the footage ESPN.com has posted about the ruckus outside the arena. It looks like about five people throwing chairs at each other. War has not erupted.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Bad match for Ana Ivanovic today. She made lots of mistakes to let Kleybanova win. And Kleybanova looks to be way out of shape. Lots of power, but it seemed like every time she had to move around the court she lost the point. And Ivanovic far too often just volleyed back and forth and made too many mistakes doing so.

6. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Great match on ESPN2 right now (taped). Gasquet at Gonzalez at 8-8 in the fifth.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Stat of the day:

Svetlana Kuznetsova had 40 unforced errors . . . IN THE FIRST SET . . . AND WON THE SET . . . against Alona Bondarenko.

How do you win a set in which you basically give away the equivalent of 10 games? Kuzy had 28 more errors in the second set . . . and won that set, too.

Meanwhile, in three sets against Tommy Haas, Rafael Nadal had 8 errors.

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Berdych is bombing away, and is up two sets to none on Federer.

Great tennis so far.

9. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Can't believe the amount of errors by Federer so far.

10. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Looks like Roger's going to break him to start the third set.

I realize he's not the top seed, but how huge will it be if Federer loses this early?

11. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

He's reached the semifinals of 18 straight Grand Slams.

It would be absolutely massive if he were to fall here. And Berdych just broke straight back.

12. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

That was a great service game. He's going to need a lot more of those.

Draft saved Draft deleted