1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Aussie Open Thread...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by nafselon, Jan 14, 2007.

1. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Random question: Who's the Aussie guy that's been doing studio work with Chris Fowler?

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Darren Cahill, slightly-better-than-journeyman player in the 1980s who I believe reached a U.S. Open semifinal once.

Most recently was coaching Lleyton Hewitt and then Andre Agassi.

3. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

C'mon don't act like you don't look at one of Marat's 5-6 dozen Perfect 10 Eastern European supermodels and think..."bitch"....every time the camera is on them. But you are right. I'll refer to them at "arm pieces"...that better?

I'm still hoping Marat does some version on "The Bachelor" during one of the tournaments where he brings like 5-6 of them and eliminates one each round as he moves through the brackets. It would be even better if he's struggling horribly in a match, goes on a tirade and eliminates some in between points.

As for Roddick...I just can't bring myself to pull for him after enjoying Sampras and Agassi for so many years. Just being American isn't good enough, I wish he'd try to be great.

And wasn't that Federer match an exhibition? What limitations was R-Fed under? Did they force him only to use forehands?

4. BTExpress

Yes, it was an exhibition.

Doesn't even count on Roddick's record as a victory against Federer.

And I think Federer had to play with one foot in a bucket, like Bobby Riggs used to do.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Actually, no I don't look at his supermodels and think "bitch." I just get jealous.

I think that Roddick is trying to be great. Roddick is never going to be as great as Sampras or Agassi. Andy's a great athlete, not a great tennis player. There's a difference. Andy's that kid from high school who was good at every sport he tried, and just picked tennis because that's the one he was best at.

It was an exhibition, and to my knowledge Roger wasn't under any "limitations." Just can't accept Andy might be getting better can you?

6. nafselon

Ok fair enough, can I still refer to JHH as a bitch though :).

No, I would love for Roddick to get better and I would gladly accept it. I know he'll never be as great as Federer or Sampras or Agassi, but just give me some consistency. I don't care that he was an uber-athlete in high school, he's a tennis player now so be the best tennis player. It's one thing if he's making a lot of quarters and semifinals through that time but he hasn't gotten past the fourth round in 6 of his last 12 grand slams.

I'm glad he can smile and do cameos in sitcoms and occasionally curse out a deserving umpire, but I don't want to hear any more excuses for the fact that he's not fully committed to being the best player out there. If he tries and he can't, that's one thing. But I don't always think he tries.

Now I have a hard time accepting he got to bang Mandy Moore for a couple of years...THAT pisses me off :)

7. BTExpress

Well, Andy is now officially playing closer to the baseline than the back wall, so that's a start.

And his volley is finally better than the 4.5 player who beats me every Tuesday, so that's another feather in his cap.

8. sportschick

Feel free to refer to that foul nasty creature as a bitch. I think we can all get behind that.

9. nafselon

Meanwhile that midget twerp Hewitt advanced after a pretty spirited four-setter.

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Bonds has taken up tennis.

11. sportschick

I like Sharapova's dress. If I had the body, I'd wear it in public during the summer.

12. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I think it looks nice, if a little corset-esque around the middle.

Draft saved Draft deleted