1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running "ask a zealot" thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DemoChristian, May 10, 2008.

1. I have known plenty of great atheists/agnostics (and Jews, Muslims and Buddhists as well). I don't think they are bad people. I also know plenty of Christians who are bad people, just to be clear.
    I do feel sorry for them because I think they are missing out on the love of God that I experience. I know sooner or later I'm going to have to answer the question about who goes to Hell, so I'll get to it here: I believe I'm going to Heaven. The only reason I have confidence in that is that I've accept the sacrifice of Christ that atones for my sins.
    I don't get to choose who goes to Hell and I'm thankful for that. But I do believe we have all sinned and fall short of the glory of God. Essentially, we all deserve Hell. But the Bible says everyone will stand before The Creator and we must all answer to Him. We should be concerned about our own standing, not trying to figure out the standings of others.
    I don't think their lives are less full than mine, though they are different. There are plenty of joys in this world I miss out on because of my beliefs.
    I would vote for a non-Christian if I believed he/she was the best candidate. I had no problem with Lieberman as a VP candidate and I'd still be backing Obama if he really were a Muslim.

2. Just so it doesn't get missed, my answer is in my previous post. You can call it tap dancing if you want, but it's the best I've got right now.

3. Yes, but I believe God has reached out to us and wants us to know Him. We could never had figured Him out on our own (and there are still plenty of aspects of him we can't get; for example, try to wrap your head around an all-powerful figure who has been here forever and will be here forever).

4. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Are we all truly equal in the eyes of God, or were women designed as second-class citizens?

5. I honestly don't know. If I had a similar personality, I probably would have latched onto Hinduism, but I would be debating that with people and trying to make sure I found the truth.

6. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

And I agree. With so many billions of things that had to go a certain way to make this happen, I am absolutely willing to entertain the idea that there is something bigger than ourselves guiding it.

But the idea that it's because of a specific martyr who lived 2,000 years ago, and the idea that a certain book has all the answers, it's anathema to any kind of logical thinking.

7. We are all equal. And Eve is no more complicit for the fall of man than Adam is.

8. pallister

pallister Guest

OK, I call bullshit on this. Obviously, your faith is the driving force in your life. And you're telling me you would support a person of another faith with the responsibility of being leader of the free world? Nah, not buyin' it. I think you're tap dancin' your ass of with that answer.

9. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Then why do most religions prohibit women from holding the highest leadership positions?

10. Why? There has to be some correct answer (even if none of us know it), right? I mean, isn't Christianity as likely as any alternative?
    If God wanted us to know Him, why couldn't He have used a book and come down to die in human form?

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Do you believe that you would go to hell, if your life had been lived that way instead of the way it is now? Or if you had been born a Muslim in Saudi Arabia, or a Buddhist in Japan?

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Religion ≠ God

Religion is run by man. Man is fallible.

Draft saved Draft deleted