1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running "ask a zealot" thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DemoChristian, May 10, 2008.

1. joe

joe Active Member

Tom Waits said it best:

Well you say that it's gospel
    But I know that it's only church

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Adam is complicit, and Eve is not.

As for women in the Bible, they are surely no second class citizens; using 21st Century measures of status (women in "leadership" positions) is hardly the measure God uses.

That said, the Bible explains differences in the ways in which men and women are exalted. Lots of people take issue with these different areas of focused praise, which is certainly their right.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I understand what you're saying. You're right: From a Christian perspective, if you don't believe in Christ as everyone's savior, you will not be allowed into heaven.

4. First, I love that Death is posting on this thread. There's something fitting about that.
    Secondly, I don't believe God has a sex, per se, but Jesus referred to Him as "Father" and the Bible calls Him "He" throughout, so I'll go with that until I have good reason to do otherwise.

5. Jesus said to love everyone, specifically including whoever you consider your enemy (Gandhi is not my enemy, but the point stands -- love EVERYONE).
    It is not up to us Christians to determine who is going to Heaven and then take care of those people and shun the others. We are supposed to simply show the love of Christ to the world.
    The Bible says people should know we are Christians by our love. That doesn't happen nearly enough, but it's a good goal.
    I'm not sure what you want from Christians, Buck. Should we stop believing because some people choose not to accept the way, the truth and the life?

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The answers from a Christian perspective:

1. He did. From Romans 20: "For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse."

2. This statement is illogical. A non-believer has no need to concern themselves with whom Christ did or didn't redeem. A non-believer rejects Christ as the redeemer.

3. Not at all bothered. The Holy Spirit is the original text. Any Christian has it and can call upon it when he or she desires to.

Draft saved Draft deleted