1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running AP complaint thread?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Jul 5, 2007.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

If I got paid $160K a year, or $225K a year or whatever it is we pay the AP every year -- then yeah, I think the bar on me would be set pretty freaking high.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

This AP guy makes $225K a year to be a wire copy editor..WOW!

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Oh, shit, sp, he's right. It's not too much to ask for what our newspapers pay for the service.

4. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Hey AP, how about NASCAR results?

WTF are they? Did I miss them?

5. Oscar Madison

Oscar Madison Member

OK, here's a long running complaint that I've had with the AP. It doesn't use actual name of the NASCAR race in its copy. They just refer by the track name.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

AP has gotten fanatically stupid about not mentioning a sponsor's nasme in stories.. particularly NASCAR and PGA.
    Just ridiculous

7. for_the_hunt

for_the_hunt Member

Maybe I'm just noticing it more than I did before --- but it seems like the AP's having a lot more stringers cover MLB games lately.

I remember we had to run a full Phils' gamer last week, and it had to be the worst Phils' gamer I've read this season.

Tonight, both the Astros' game and the Rockies' games were covered by stringers. We almost missed deadline on the Cubs/Astros game because the first write-though didn't come until about 25 minutes after the game ended.

And the Rockies' gamer? That was just awful. But at least the lede was creative:

Brad Hawpe and Matt Holliday homered to help the Colorado Rockies beat the Milwaukee Brewers 6-2 Monday night.

8. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Just the facts maam.

9. for_the_hunt

for_the_hunt Member

Did I mention it was less than nine inches for us? And that included the notes ...

10. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Awesome. Someone write it from the boxscore?

I'm off tonight, so I haven't seen anything.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Dear AP,

Where are the IRL results?

SC

12. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

We're wondering the same thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted