1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running AP 2020 superlatives thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Dec 26, 2020.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Male Athlete of the year: LeBron James (although if I was still in the business, I would have put the Zamboni driver in Toronto on my ballot)

2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I don't know. As much as I'm over LeBron, can't really argue this one. His activism in a time when athletes really couldn't claim Republicans buy shoes too we enough. Not sure who else was on the ballot (I assume Mahomes, a golfer, Wallace, Kershaw? Pulisic, a college football player?) but LeBron really was head and shoulders above.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2020
  3. HanSenSE

Top Three were LBJ, Mahomes and Lewis Hamilton.

4. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Mahomes was second and Lewis Hamilton was third.

there were a like two dozen options on the male ballot. There were like seven on the female ballot

5. HanSenSE

6. rubenmateo

rubenmateo Active Member

Hard to argue with Osaka. Stewart would have been deserving, too. A first-place vote for Sarah Fuller — over the likes of Osaka, Stewart, even a Sue Bird or Maya Moore this year — is being myopic about women’s sports.

7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

It would've almost certainly been an Olympian if they'd been held this year.

8. HanSenSE

I saw the vote for Fuller too and said "huh"? She gets the gig on a mediocre team because of the pandemic and was the most successful female athlete of the year?

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, a vote for Fuller is a serious insult. Did this voter start watching sports just in the last 30 days?

HanSenSE likes this.
  10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Unless they changed the voting procedures, any paper with AP access gets to vote - right?

11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I'm thinking whoever did it either thought it would be funny or was someone who had it pawned off on them and knew dick about women's sports.

12. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

The day has come to retire idiotic media-bestowed titles, starting with AP.

MileHigh likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted