1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running, all-purpose World Cup thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Jun 9, 2006.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Halftime. 2-1 Deutschland. Feel great about Germany's outlook. They dominated most of the first half.

As far as the knockout round ... A-1 is in the bag for the home team. A-2 is probably the Ticos' to lose.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Plus it's always fun to hear the announcers go from a stream of Spanish to "Jurgen Klinsmann" and back to Spanish without missing a beat.

3. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

There was no scoring in the last 27 minutes of the first half. This is boring. [/Ugly American]

Seriously, how about the fact that ESPN2 put up a graphic of how much injury time there would be? Interesting.

4. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

yeah, and much less annoying than when Max Bretos or whoever is doing an italian league match on Fox Soccer, and in the middle of his call suddenly puts a ridiculous accent on a name. One of the guys was calling the US-Mexico friendly with all the alums that they've been running the last few days, and every time Alexi gets the ball, he says "Lalas" like he's trying to seduce someone. Lllllllalas.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

If Costa Rica can break the offside trap in the first 10 minutes, this is going to be very interesting.

If not, Germany wins 4-1, maybe 5-1, because the Costa Rican defenders -- who are middling anyway -- are going to get tired and dispirted.

Excellent opening match so far, though. Most opening matches suck.

6. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I have Poland going number 2, but upon further thought, Ecuador could take the spot.

This game is solid. There is some quick pace and I'm happy to see some shots go off. Now, if only I can get out of work and get to a bar.

7. Inky_Wretch

I'm anxious to see some of this in HD.

8. Football_Bat

9. Inky_Wretch

Klose moves into the early lead for Golden Boot.

10. KP

KP Active Member

Did ESPN lose the feed or am I/Comcast having a personal issue?
    It's back, that was out for a solid 3 minutes, and they didn't even go back to Bristol.

11. Football_Bat

3-2. (Bastards were totally offsides.) Torsten "Handball" Frings off with injury.

Game on?

12. Inky_Wretch

No problems here, KP.

And Costa Rica scores, 3-2 Germans. Marcelo says he was offsides, but he looked even with the defender at the top of the screen to me.

Edit: Just saw a better slow-mo replay. He was offside on the goal.

Draft saved Draft deleted