1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running, all-purpose World Cup thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Jun 9, 2006.

1. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

It's not a question of it being a promotion. It's a chance for him to keep a good income and try to be productive while he waits to see if the glory of 2002 and his impressive overall record leads to another significant coaching opportunity.
    Think about it, Cadet.
    Option B probably is: you're fired.

2. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

It's kind of like when the Yankees used to 'promote' their pitching coaches to roving pitching instructors.

That said, I agree that it beats an outright pink slip for The Bruce.

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Arena said a couple of years ago that MLS needs to develop better players. He said after this world cup that the US youth development needs to improve.

Time for him to put his money where his mouth is. I, for one, will be very interested to see how he does.

Of course, let's be honest. Klinsmann has a young German team that he largely built, a system he is just establishing, and the pull of home. Unless his wife pushes the US gig, he's not coming here.

4. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Exactly. Could you imagine how German fans would treat Klinsmann if he would leave the young Germany for the US? They already had problems with him living in the US and he was taking a lot of heat from the German press.

5. Chuck~Taylor

The greater shock would be if he takes the US job. If he does, it would be great for US soccer.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Hire Klinsmann ... now!

7. Chuck~Taylor

Coach Klinsmann.....

[​IMG]

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

If not the US job, then what?

No pressure, no media scrutiny, no being hung in effigy. If he doesn't want the US job, he will take no head job.

The US would probably love to have him, even if only as a consultant. He'll have a job.

9. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I stepped out for a while and when I came home, I learn that Klinsmann has quit and is mulling over his options. This is not a surprise.

Let's see, the next cup will be Ballack's third. Klose could also have another one. The team will be mostly together, but he saw that back line.

The bigger issue, the one that probably pushed him to make the decision: he doesn't want to live in Germany. There was much pressure on him in regards to the commute that he just didn't care. Why go through the bullshit, when all people will just point to his location as being the reason they didn't win?

10. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

He could always be an adviser, either to the US or to the Galaxy. Too late to lead California Blue Star to US Open Cup glory, though.

11. he can take the job, but he has to leave those silly, small, Euro shirts in Germany.

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

No, I would even be OK with those shirts. Produce a winner and you can wear whatever you want.

Draft saved Draft deleted