1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running, all-purpose World Cup thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Jun 9, 2006.

1. jay_christley

jay_christley Member

What, are we playing under the new NHL rules?!?!
    Looking at a 5-4 final?

2. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Taking awa the blue line passing rule has really upped the scoring this year, I see...

3. KP

KP Active Member

So far the quality has been good, but I throw this out...
    If there were a bunch of shitty games with lots of goals would that improve tv ratings and would these people stick in the later rounds as games became lower scoring.

What is the "J" on the Tico unis/kits?

4. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I predicted a 3-0 Germany win.

This is entertaining.

5. jay_christley

jay_christley Member

Soccer is so much better on the Spanish channel.
    I don't say this as someone who thinks Americans can't do soccer justice.
    However, as was written in "The Game of Their Lives" on the 1950 US upset of England ...
    The rhythms of most sports rely on the stop-and-start devisements: four downs, nine innings, eighteen holes -- and play is halted, breaths are caught, adrenaline depletes. In soccer, where play is continuous ... the rhythms determine themselves. Twenty movable players in shifting patterns and constant flux, advancing and retreating in cadences that seldom repeat. ... It is the most fluid, element team sport in the world.
    A well-struck goal, in a tight match between close rivals, is a crescendo without equal in sport."

Somehow, listening to the cadence, the cycle of a rise of urgency to the lull of routine play to the crescendo again to another offensive attack, comes across more effective with the Spanish announcers.
    It might also be best I don't know what they're saying because I don't get distracted by the actual words, but rather watch and listen to the raw emotion.

6. KP

KP Active Member

Speaking of the spanish channels. Is there a bottom line? Or a top bar?

7. jay_christley

jay_christley Member

?

BTW, the Cup has officially started.
    We have our first yellow card.

8. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

I went two pages deep on my google search, so as far as I'm concerned there is no page that answers this question: Anyone have any idea what the word "Borussia" means?

9. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I missed it. Someone get kicked in the balls?

10. KP

KP Active Member

Why is the stadium name changed from Allianz Arena to FIFA World Cup Stadium Munich? I remember I first noticed this with the SLC Olympics with the Delta Center.

11. jay_christley

jay_christley Member

Tex,
    You need to sharpen your google skills  ;D
    Third result from google was Wikipedia ...
    The entry (for what it's worth) on Borussia Dortmund:
    The name Borussia is Latin for Prussia and was taken from the nearby Borussia brewery.

12. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Ah. Thanks jay. I read the Moenchengladbach entry, didn't see it, and got impatient. Figured one of our resident soccer nuts would know.

Also, I'm not starting any new threads for post No. 2000, but it was time for a name change. Hope y'all like it.

Draft saved Draft deleted