1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running, all-purpose NCAA baseball super regional thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Johnny Dangerously, Jun 9, 2006.

1. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Very interesting scenario, but they would have to empty the treasury to get Horton to Bayouland.

Not saying he won't leave Fullerton :'(, but he went to the school, played for Garrido, bided his time until Garrido went to first Illinois, then came back after Larry Cochell went to Okilahoma. Then, Horton waited until Augie Kerouac went to Texas.

This is the job he wants. And Goodwin Field isn't the total dive it was when I went there in the 80s. It's a nice facility, he has the run of the fertile SoCal high school recruiting grounds to harvest and -- as much as it pains me to say it as a loyal alum -- he typically doesn't have trouble getting kids in. That's why I think he didn't take it too seriously when he was mentioned for the UCLA job a few years ago.

JD is right. If he's leaving Fullerton, he's doing so for more than LSU would pay him.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

It's true it would take a ton of cash to get Horton away from the Titans. But LSU doesn't seem to be hurtin' for money, and he'd be a fool to not at least if they made an offer.

Also, I think things are going to get a little tougher in the LA area for CSU-F and Pepperdine. Savage has done a great job of reviving UCLA and the change at USC should also be beneficial for the Trojans. He'll still have a great program, but recruiting could get a mite more difficult.

And I think, on the whole, BCS conference teams still "control" college baseball, for the large part.
    At the 2005 CWS, the only non-BCS team was Tulane, and probably five or six of eight this season will be BCS as well.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

South Carolina leads Georgia 9-0 on six home runs, all with two outs, all in the first two innings. The last five came in rapid-fire succession in the second inning. Incredible.

4. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

had to rub it in, didn't you bastard?

5. Johnny Dangerously

No. Rubbing it in would have been pointing out the five home runs came on nine pitches.

And anyway, I was setting you up to tell the folks what happened the last time South Carolina led Georgia 9-0 early ...

6. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

ain't happening today, my friend

7. Johnny Dangerously

Well, for any who might care: In that SEC tournament game, Georgia scored the next 14 runs and won 16-10. Not sure why stories say Georgia scored 14 unanswered runs, because South Carolina answered with one. ;)

8. Johnny Dangerously

ATHENS, Ga. -- The Georgia uniforms had that bleeding-from-the-armpit look.
    Fitting, because the pitching staff began hemorrhaging early Saturday.

9. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Every coach who allows his team to wear those unis should be shot. I'm not a total uniform purist/snob, but those are ridiculous.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Besides South Carolina and Georgia Tech, who beat?

11. Johnny Dangerously

Clemson punched its ticket for Omaha with another close victory over Oral Roberts.
    Alabama leads North Carolina 4-2 in the 8th, looking to force a deciding game Sunday.
    Ole Miss leads Miami 11-9 in the 7th in Game 1.
    Rice is ahead of Oklahoma 8-4 in the 7th in Game 1.
    West Coast games still yet to be played.

http://www.ncaasports.com/baseball/mens/scoreboard/div1/div1/20060610/60

12. Johnny Dangerously

Tar Heels lead Alabama 5-4 on three-run HR in the 8th. Nobody out. Pitching change.

Draft saved Draft deleted