1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running (albeit late) 2012 Aussie Open thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Blitz, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Just watched final hour of a live (I think) showing of the Bryan/Bryan semifinal win over Robert Lindstedt and Horia Tecau.
    An awesome final few minutes as the Bryans fell behind 5-2 in a all-in tiebreaker, then stormed back to win.
    This has been an interesting tournament, in several respects.

2. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

The timing and participation on this thread says alot about tennis in America.

3. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I know, I know.
    I do think more people like it or follow it than let on.

4. Quakes

Quakes Guest

Thanks for starting it, Blitz. You really couldn't ask for better semifinals on both sides -- 1 vs. 4 and 2 vs. 3 on the men's side, and 11 (Clijsters, who took out the 1) vs. 3 and 2 vs. 4 on the women's side.

I'm debating whether I should/can stay up for Federer-Nadal tonight. I'm pulling for Roger, and he's certainly capable, but I'm going to need to see him beat Rafa in a big spot before I believe it.

5. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Announcers just ripped Azarenka for complaining about talking in crowd. Seriously, if there's someone who has no right to complain about noise...

6. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Just glad, too, to see Clijsters back near the top after her temporary fall from elite status.
    Women's game has always spawned so many players who were able to reinvent themselves, much moreso than on the men's side.
    Seles did it momentarily, Davenport did it big time and there have been other females who came and went and came again.

7. Quakes

Quakes Guest

Capriati, too. Clijsters didn't fall so much as retire, though (and get injured for a while). But she may be letting this match slip away after winning the second set. Then again, she's probably setting up a big comeback victory. (Volleyball might be the only sport with more runs and momentum shifts than women's tennis.)

I haven't seen Azarenka play that often, so I'm wondering if this is her normal grunting/shrieking. She doesn't sound that loud to me.

8. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Quakes,

She's brutal. Players complain more about her than about Sharapova.

9. Quakes

Quakes Guest

Yeah, I know that's her reputation. It just didn't sound too bad. It was certainly audible, and much louder than Clijsters, but it didn't seem that loud or distracting or annoying. Maybe I've become desensitized to grunting. Or maybe I have the volume down too low. (Sharapova, at the moment, sounds louder to me.)

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Ear protection mandatory for reporters at Sharapova-Azarenka final?

11. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Nadal with a wrap around his knee. Can't help but think whatever that is would take some power from Nadal.

12. Dignan

Dignan Guest

I'm not even a big tennis fan, but Federer-Nadal is worth staying up for. To compare a rivalry to Ali-Frazier is the biggest cliche in sports, but this is the closest thing we have.

Draft saved Draft deleted