1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 24 thread (03-05)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KYSportsWriter, Mar 5, 2007.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Can we please leave the political shit out of these threads?

IT IS A FUCKING TV SHOW! Check your political smugness or whatever the fuck you're calling at the door.

2. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Bumping the thread back up.

Pretty good stuff between Martha, Aaron and ex-Prez Logan, but all in all, the show seems so tame this year. Doesn't have the same intensity. It's almost like everyone's going through the motions. "Yeah, the survival of the free world is at stake. Yeah, we're running out of time. Yada, yada, yada."

3. Jack_Bauer24

Jack_Bauer24 New Member

Totally agree, Broadway. I have been drawn to this season less any of the others. Not enough is happening. At least not enough Jack is happening. There have been too many episodes like last night's where Jack is not the central figure. To me, the show is at its best when Jack Bauer is doing some damage, not when he's slumped against a basement wall holding a woman hostage and waiting for someone to get him a secure phone line.
    I did enjoy Jack's line when he walked into the basement room: "I'm not going to hurt you. But I will kill you if I have to."

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Tame? Bauer bit a guy to death. His father killed his brother and Logan's wife just offed him right in front of three Secret Service agents.

5. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Well, sure, all that and the nuclear weapon that went off.

Nothing to see here...

6. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

I'm not talking about violence, I'm talking about intensity, suspense. This season doesn't seem to have it. 24 used to be a roller-coaster ride. Now it just cruises along with the occasional surprise.

7. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

During other seasons, I've thought the show would be better if it were "18" instead of "24." I totally believe that about this season. Jack still kicks ass, of course, but it's missing the spark it used to have.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Cut the guy some slack. He just got out of a Chinese prision...

9. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Fuck that. This is JACK BAUER we're talking about here. Five years ago, Jack would've come out of the Chinese prison, skipped the shave and went to work a-torturin'. He's just getting OLD. ;)

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Plus, the "shock" was horribly predictable thanks to Fox' stupid promos. THE MOST SHOCKING MOMENT IN 24 HISTORY...with Aaron screaming for a medic. You knew it'd be either Martha or Logan biting it, and the concept of Logan killing his ex-wife made no sense even for 24.

I agree: The worst-case scenario has happened here twice this year--a bomb going off in southern California and an assassination attempt being made on the President--and there's been a few "oh shit" moments, but overall, there's a spark that's missing. At some point, you have to admit you've done it all, short of killing Jack. Maybe that's how this season ends...with Jack choking to death on a piece of bread or something.

11. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

God, how ballsy would it be if they actually did that? That would be phenomenal, in a weird, twisted sort of way.

12. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

No.. this season will end with Kim storming into CTU headquarters shouting "Dad! This is the second time I thought you were dead and then you've come back. I can't handle it anymore. I have to make sure you're dead this time" and then pumping a few rounds into Jack before someone can stop her.

Draft saved Draft deleted