1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2023 Motorsports thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by maumann, Jan 2, 2023.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Hopefully, this makes a lot of fans ... Happy.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Just saw this clip from the Xfinity Series race Saturday at Atlanta. Driver named Josh Williams got black flagged for something falling off his car (a piece of something called bear bond, which I assume is like Bondo?), so he said, "All right then, I'll just leave it here." Parked at the start-finish line, got out of the car and walked off the track.
    With that mullet, though, how can we stay mad at him?

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

There's a degree of prejudice because it's three exits down the interstate from my home, but I love the Indy race at Barber's in Birmingham. Modern road course, not patched together from city streets, easy to move around on if you get bored, good sight lines and places where you can set up and be able to watch a couple of straightaways and multiple turns. It can be hard to pass, but that would seem to be true of most (?) Indy road courses. Willing to be educated on the better ones, not claiming any huge familiarity.

It's a really nice venue, and I greatly prefer race cars that turn in both directions and go over hills and stuff.

Driftwood likes this.
  4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Outside of COTA, I have to think Barber is the best road course in the U.S. now. The facility looks beautiful.

In a perfect world, I'd love to see an IndyCar series that looked something like:

Indy 500
    Indy Road Course
    Barber
    Sonoma
    Laguna Seca
    Portland
    Mid Ohio
    Road America
    Watkins Glen
    Long Beach
    COTA
    Road Atlanta
    Nashville (with a significant layout alteration)

...and fill it out with whatever your best options are. I don't know if Montreal is an option. Mosport?

murphyc and Regan MacNeil like this.
  5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Barber's is gorgeous. Top notch in every facet I know of. It's a very rich man's... I was going to say toy, but obsession might be a more accurate description. He spent something in the range of $70 million for the land that's under the museum and track. His collection is something over 1,600 motorcycles with around 900 of them on display. I couldn't begin to guess what the collection, reputed to be the largest collection of motorcycles in the world (antique, modern, racing, and custom) is worth.

I remember when it was first built, George Barber brought a couple of Superbike racers in to test the track. Once they'd driven it a bit, Barber pressed them on anything that they had noticed that wasn't quite right, needed to be fixed or could be improved somehow. One of them eventually mentioned a couple of minor ripples in one of the major turns. Barber hired a firm that specialized in paving tracks, particularly banked turns, and completely repaved the track, better than two miles. This had to be hideously expensive and was likely unnecessary in the first place.

I got the story from a patient who worked as a mechanic at the big Caterpillar bulldozer dealership in town. He and a guy he worked with were hired to stand by at the track in case any of the machinery broke while they were working on it. They got paid a ton of money to sit around and drink coffee for several days, basically.

I've said it here a dozen times - if you ever come through Birmingham and are looking for something to do, the one thing in this city that is honest to God world class is Barber's. The place is just amazing.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2023
    PCLoadLetter likes this.
  6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Maybe they need a race official nearby to wave a yellow flag. Or a brown one.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Milwaukee. Nashville oval. Phoenix oval. Kansas oval. Bristol.

Your list is all road courses. More ovals, please.

8. PCLoadLetter

Like I said earlier, I don't like ovals. I get why they run them, but I find them close to unwatchable -- and no one attends.

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I was a fan of the IRL idea. Not of open wheel being torn apart, but offering a way for American short-track racers to climb the ladder.

It failed. Crowds were brutal at most spots. It brought us guys like Dr. Jack Miller and Greg Ramrod Ray. The ride-buying was 10 times worse than what you see today in NASCAR, and that's getting bad.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

IndyCar fans are great at asking for more ovals and then not buying tickets to them. Bring back Milwaukee! Michigan!

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The thing that makes NASCAR watchable, or at least fun, at Bristol is the physicality of it, with cars bumping and banging each other as they jockey for position. How the hell are Indy cars going to run there?

12. PCLoadLetter

I've largely come to the conclusion that 98% of the IndyCar fans who insist the series needs more ovals live in Indianapolis. They're not buying tickets anywhere else.

wicked and playthrough like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted