1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2023-24 NCAA Football Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Neutral Corner, Jan 17, 2023.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

We already have rules difference in the last two minutes, namely players going out of bounds.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Maybe they can bring back the utter debacle that was the 2007 clock rules. That was when they started the clock on a change of possession as soon as the ball was spotted and pretty much killed any chance a team had for a comeback in the final minute.
    So if a team scored to take the lead with, say, 30 seconds left, they started the clock as soon as the ball was spotted following the kickoff. No matter how efficient they were, the team that was behind would inevitably lose at least 15-20 seconds while they were getting their offense on the field.
    Those rules lasted one season, and they only lasted that long because they couldn't change them once the season started.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

LSU wide receiver Malik Nabers arrested for illegal weapon possession in the French Quarter.
    The illegal part sucks, but I'm not going to immediately denigrate him for carrying a gun in New Orleans.
    Nabers was the guy who dropped a couple of punts in the season-opening loss to Florida State, including one that more or less cost LSU the game. He came back and had a really good season, though. He was probably their best receiver by the end of the year.

https://www.fox8live.com/2023/02/21/lsu-wr-malik-nabers-arrested-new-orleans/

4. MileHigh

That was the worst rule change. Also part of that, clock started when toe hit leather on kickoffs. Beyond stupid.

Batman likes this.
  5. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Are they still doing media timeouts though for radio?

And I'm sorry, as someone who watches major network TV on Saturdays, you can't tell me there's only a two-minute difference when all of their commercial breaks are like five minutes long

6. MileHigh

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

This is the one they put in to be voted down so running clock on first downs would seem more palatable by comparison.

8. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Touchdown, extra point, 5-minute commercial break. Kickoff out of the end zone, 5-minute commercial break. You have 5-seconds of non-action in the middle of 10 minutes of commercials. You barely notice it watching at home. You're ready to go crazy when you're at a game and sit there watching nothing for more than 10 minutes.

HanSenSE, Batman and Neutral Corner like this.
  9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Replay reviews are as bad, or worse, than that. I remember an Ole Miss-Alabama game a couple of years ago that had three reviews in a span of four or five plays. It took about 15 minutes to get through that sequence.

I Should Coco likes this.
  10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I hope you're right on that. Sounds like sound logic.
    In the 2022 season, the average FBS game had 5.7 more offensive plays per team than the average NFL game (68.7-63). If they have the clock running after incompletions and first downs, they'll drive the count to about 60. That's probably too low for my taste as a viewer.
    I'd think that reducing the play count is good for the underdog.
    Of course, the single easiest thing they could do to reduce the game time would be to cut halftime to the NFL standard of 12 minutes. But that ain't happening. Advertising time and marching bands and all that.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

60-second cap on replays. If they don’t know by then, call stands. But of course they’ll never consider this because it is another chance to run commercials for life insurance and penis-substitute trucks.

12. MileHigh

And we have replay and expedited replay, which is helping things but still a work in progress.

Draft saved Draft deleted