1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2022-23 NHL thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Oct 7, 2022.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That was a truly awful trade. It won't help much this year and it will make it harder for them to either build around the aging core or finally start the rebuilding process this offseason. Hextall seems to be in way over his head.

2. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

That was Quick

Liut likes this.
  3. Jake from State Farm

It isn’t a trade deadline without a Max Domi deal

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I tend to see everything as an overpay when you get into dollar figures like this because of the salary cap. But if anyone is going to get that contract. ... he is the guy who should.

5. Jake from State Farm

He’s slotted between Horvat and Barzal
    I think that’s fair

6. Jake from State Farm

When the trade went down my Wings friends and I wondered why Vancouver would do this but we decided to just let Canucks fans figure it out

7. The Big Ragu

Horvat might live up to that contract, but that is a very big question mark. I love Barzal as a player, but he is eggregiously overpaid.

Larkin is a really good 2C who plays an excellent 2-way game. But to me, he's not $3 million + a year better than Vincent Trocheck (sticking to players I see a lot of), who the Rangers gave $5.625 million a year to.

It's not completely comparable, because Trocheck is 3 years older than Larkin, and I will bet the Rangers have to eat salary during the last 2 or 3 years of the 7-year deal they gave Trocheck.

I love Larkin as a player, would take him on my team ... But like I said, $8.7 million a year for Dylan Larkin is a pretty big overpay within the context of having to manage the salary cap.

I can get why Yzerman felt he needed to do it, but still.

8. The Big Ragu

BTW, another contextual (again sticking to players I see a lot of). ... That contract pays Larkin better than the 8-year deal Mika Zibanejad signed. And um. ... no.

Again, not completely comparable, Mika was older than Larkin, and he gave the Rangers a big home-team discount to stay where he wanted. But still.

9. Jake from State Farm

The return tells you how badly Yzerman wanted him off the team

55BE072C-83E6-4027-B379-70E3C012B9D5.jpeg

Yzerman at the deadline

2BB7EDA8-96AD-4E59-BFBE-DED207A735A2.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 3, 2023
  10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Value goes up each year, comparing previous signings isn’t really fair. Your qualifiers you put on these are really important, especially the age component. The overpays that kill teams are the ones for lower end players and players over 30.

11. Jake from State Farm

The thing about Larkin
    He’s a 2C on a good team but a 1C on this one
    He’s a hometown kid and wants to be there
    More important he’s the captain, the best player and he busts his ass every night
    If anyone knows what it’s like to have a captain who sets the right example for his team it’s Steve Yzerman

Liut and misterbc like this.
  12. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Cool list. Wonder what the number is for the Sedins going the other way.

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted