1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2022-23 NCAA Basketball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Neutral Corner, May 6, 2022.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Was there with my soon-to-be Indiana freshman daughter, who had never seen a women's game before. Was the second-largest crowd in IU women's history (all but the upper reaches of the balcony filled, if you know Assembly Hall) and bonkers when that 3 tied the game. Then ... silence.

But still pretty amazing to have that kind of experience at an IU women's game. That program has come incredibly far.

I Should Coco and garrow like this.
  2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I saw on the bottom line that Davis from Detroit Mercy was bitching that he didn't get a chance to play in the postseason and break Maravich's record. His team went 14-19. Give me a fucking break. Win some games. Fucking Radford and Tarleton got into the CBI, but at least they had winning records. Talk about putting a giant asterisk on a record if he had broken it in that shit event...

Last edited: Mar 21, 2023
  3. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Isn’t baseball the top sport there?

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Colorado survives in OT in a grinding, defensive slog. Duke had to play that way because while Kara Lawson had a strong defense in place, the Blue Devils were not an offensive machine.

MileHigh likes this.
  5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Even though Virginia Tech's women won in Knoxville this year, I suspect the Hokies are the prohibitive underdog--even as the No. 1 seed--in a regional with UT, UConn and Ohio State.

6. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I'm sure this has been covered, but Maravich played 83 games in three seasons. Davis played 144 games over five seasons. Giant asterisk, indeed.

TigerVols likes this.
  7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

At least you're not in Bridgeport with Connecticut. Nice of the NCAA Tournament Committee to "reward" a No. 1 seed with that crap, then have Rebecca Lobo try to defend her alma mater on air for the move.

I think the Hokies are clearly better than Ohio State, but still trying to figure out if Tennessee has hit its stride or if Toledo was a convenient punching bag. As for Connecticut ... they've been as up and down as anyone has seen in at least a decade, undoubtedly because of all the injuries.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Davis was complaining about those who wrote in to the CBI or made it known that they didn't want Detroit Mercy in that tournament.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

OK, must have mis-read that last night.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

A little bit of both. Tennessee is playing as well as it has all year, but the top handful of teams are still clearly a level above. The freak comeback win vs. LSU was nice, but LSU was way overrated at No. 2 at the time. VT should win by 8-10.

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

And Maravich took 2o0 more shots in those 83 games than Davis did in his 144.

sgreenwell likes this.
  12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Not to mention the three point shot.

Draft saved Draft deleted