1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2022-23 NCAA Basketball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Neutral Corner, May 6, 2022.

1. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

In 1993, Baylor had a lineman named Hunter Hunter.

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

UAB has a player named Tony Toney playing this season.

3. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Rich Tosches, who worked at the AP in L.A. and later for the U-T in San Diego, wrote about Samoa Samoa and said his parents stuttered. I don't know how that got into print.

poindexter likes this.
  4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

You'd be amazed what could get into print 40 years ago that wouldn't have a chance of seeing the light of day in this era.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

No, John Swofford thought that Syracuse and Pitt were good ideas. The old-guard were griping loudly about things not being the way they used to. They seemed OK with Florida State because of the football upgrade for those fans of something other than men's college basketball, but then the big expansion just starting the grumbling about adding all dem Big East teams from north of the Mason-Dixon Line.

As for Maryland out, Louisville in, that was Swofford trying to save face because he wanted more credit for adding, adding and adding some more and making sure the Swofford Bowl would survive. Watching Maryland leave was embarrassing to him. But when people realized why - the Big Ten Network and the revenue - the wheels were put in motion for the ACC Network.

franticscribe likes this.
  6. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

The worst thing about the Maryland-Louisville swap is it shattered the notion the ACC cares about academics

Neutral Corner likes this.
  7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Capel's buyout is $15 million because the stupid-assed AD who cares more about winning volleyball instead of sports which actually pay bills extended him after he showed promise in his first year. He's not going anywhere, much to my chagrim, because what he's built has gone from creating anger to apathy. None of us care anymore and usually tune in just to see how stupid it will be -- and rarely does it disappoint. And, when the ACC added Pitt, it was for the billions with a b in grant research dollars the school pulls annually.

8. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I always thought that argument was ridiculous. Ever since they let Louisville in, and that wall came down, I have not understood why they don't go ahead take WVU, too.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2022
    BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I'd love WVU, which has been shaking its ass at the ACC since the 1990s. They were upgrading facilities in the 1980s and 90s in hopes of an ACC invite.

franticscribe likes this.
  10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I loved his song, Feel Good.

Oh wait.

HanSenSE likes this.
  11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Damn good four-team event in Vegas this weekend. Virginia upset Baylor in the opener and now Illinois trying to claw back against UCLA.

12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Damn. That's a big number for a coach whose most noteworthy achievement is getting Oklahoma investigated by the NCAA.

Draft saved Draft deleted