1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2022-23 NCAA Basketball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Neutral Corner, May 6, 2022.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

It's essentially the old BracketBusters on steroids, and it would include far more leagues. While I'm not sure the world needs more Jackson State-Austin Peay games in February, the idea of being able to match the elite teams that really need the bump is enticing.

3. Neutral Corner

A group of teams that are top 3 in their leagues but can use a schedule boost to get over the hump for an at large bid will make for a week of pretty good games. They need to make good match-ups, but I think it could be fun and good for the teams involved. The ones that win, anyway.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

In the story, it mentions that the matchups will be made by an algorithm, not a human, which is probably a good thing. They'll definitely regionalize the lower-level matchups so we don't have Southern Utah going to Merrimack, but from what I understand, the top-tier matchups will be determined by a mix of NET and other rankings. This year, you could have had Gonzaga facing Loyola Chicago and Murray State in that scenario.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I’d like to see something similar with the SEC-Big 12 Challenge. Maybe wait until the holidays to announce matchups, although host sites would be known in advance.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

7. Neutral Corner

8. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

The Bracket Buster turned out to be a televised version of Mid-Major Hunger Games. It was awful. It’s why it died.

“Oh, you have 26 wins? That’s nice. NOW KILL ANOTHER MID-MAJOR TO PROVE YOUR WORTH!”

9. micropolitan guy

Of course, now that coach K has retired as the head coach of the champion floppers.

franticscribe and Neutral Corner like this.
  10. micropolitan guy

11. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

Son named his successor.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted