1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2021 Golf Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Jan 9, 2021.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Both

2. MileHigh

Another lost opportunity for Spieth. 71-70 wasn't going to cut it, though the 71 on Saturday was pretty strong considering the weather. He's knocking on the door and his game has greatly improved. Gotta push through at some point.

Berger played great with an eagle on 18 and shot 65. But up two entering the round, Spieth needs to have the mental fortitude to close that out.

3. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Every double-digit weekend hacker watched Lashley's four-putt triple at 16 from 13 feet and wondered if he just wrote down "5" like they do.

MileHigh likes this.
  4. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

I admit to tossing my putter like he did

maumann likes this.
  5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Agreed, but he's taken a big step forward over the past two weeks. Playing at this level has to help his confidence, which is what this is all about with him. If he keeps playing that way (a huge if, of course), he'll give himself plenty of chances to close one out.

MileHigh likes this.
  6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Of course he does. But where he is now versus where he has been for the last couple of years is the major reason why the talking heads are (over?)hyping this.

They see Jordan Spieth as the sort who can go on another run like he did in 2015. The falloff from that point is part of why the media is trying so hard to get on the bandwagon. Other than the fact that he's sloooooooooow, it's understandable IMO. He's 27, he has won three majors and has shown that it's not all about the bombers.

MileHigh likes this.
  7. MileHigh

He's definitely made some major strides. Playing a fourth week in a row this week at Riviera. And, yeah, his slow pace rakes me as well. Otherwise, it's hard not to root for the guy.

8. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

I was only half listening but on CBS I think they said this was Spieth’s first back to back top fives since 2018
    (I’m retired. I’ll let the golf nuts look it up)

9. MileHigh

Correct. T3 in Houston, 3 at the Masters.

In 2019, he did a T3, T8, T7 in consecutive weeks.

10. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

While the eagle putt was definitely icing on the cake, Berger's second shot on 18 was massive. Carrying the bunker from 250 yards in that kind of situation takes balls of steel.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Especially considering he doubled the hole on Saturday.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I'm not trying to be difficult, but I fail to see why he is more rootable than 150 other guys on the tour.
    He's slow, usually looks like he's in a mood, and seems to blame his caddy a lot.

Draft saved Draft deleted