1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2021 Golf Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Jan 9, 2021.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

There's no way this happens with fans on-site, right? Everyone would see the bounce, and there's no way a ball embeds from a knee-high bounce unless it's into a mud pit.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I'm not a rules expert. You can just decide it was embedded and move the ball before a rules official gets there?

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

4. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Who’s a bigger cheater, Reed or Vijay Singh?

5. Typist Clerk

Typist Clerk Active Member

The answer is yes.

Jake from State Farm likes this.
  6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Rory.
    /carolinewazniak

Alma and Jake from State Farm like this.
  7. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

And David Lee was there for the rebound

8. playthrough

Fairly remarkable at the start of CBS' coverage today to replay the incident and then go all the way around the horn with their new rules guy, Faldo, IBF, Nobilo and Dottie. I didn't watch much longer after that but had no doubt that Reed would win, just to stretch this out longer.

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I guess in his defense he asked everyone in the group as to whether anyone saw it bounce and no one did, plus given the conditions on Sat.

However, picking it up BEFORE the rules official or someone else can look at it? Awfully smelly. (If I have the fact wrong, then I'll change my view certainly.)

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Vijay Singh has been a model citizen in terms of the rules of golf ever since the 1985 incident in Malaysia where he was accused of falsifying his scorecard to make the cut. He was smart enough to know it would haunt him for the rest of his career and he knew everyone would be watching him like a hawk. And because of that, he's never tried to get away with anything. Really ... google Vijay Singh and cheating and that's all you'll find.

Deer Antler Spay, you say? Well, the Tour rescinded his suspension and released the prize money he had won while on suspension for that after it was taken off the banned list by the World Anti-Doping Administration (the Tour goes along with whatever WADA has on its list). Singh then sued the Tour for slander and was well on his way to winning (because several other players had used it without getting suspended) before Jay Monahan became the commissioner and ordered the lawyers to settle with Vijay.

The only reason the previous commissioner, Tim Finchem, suspended Singh is that he said he took the substance in an interview and Finchem claimed that was the same as a positive test. Turned out the only way you could detect the Deer Antler Spray is through a blood test and the Tour was only doing urine tests back then ... hence guys like Mark Calcavecchia didn't test positive.

There is no comparison between Singh and Reed. And as it turns out, Singh was good enough to win 40 times and three majors, and get into Hall of Fame, without cheating.

Now, as far as Singh being a royal asshole ... Then he's in Reed territory.

Alma and maumann like this.
  11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

And remember, the tour has the best anti doping system in sports, because Hondo and Tiger said so.

12. playthrough

While the Tour is wrapping itself in the fact that the Rules have Reed covered, behind closed doors they have to be hoping like hell that Reed doesn't go on a heater this year. He wins about once a year, so hopefully he's done.

Draft saved Draft deleted