1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2020 Tennis Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Jan 23, 2020.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I wasn’t clear; he’s my favorite of the Big 3 because of his career path and his amazing play. Like you point out, he’s such a clean player and then a mental beast. Him coming back this weekend when he looked like toast. I was rooting for him to win.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Djokovic tested positive for da rona today

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

sad tennis-is-the-perfect-pandemic-sport trombone

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I think it's less about the sport and more about where these players are going outside of the sport. Tennis is probably as about as safe as you can get when it comes to person-to-person transmission. Just not a lot of close contact involved. But if you head out to a bar after your day is done ...

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

True as that is, sports don't occur in a vacuum. Even in "bubble" settings like Disneyworld, athletes - and support people - are going to violate quarantine.

I'll be interested to see, for example, how far down the road we get toward this year's US Open.

The likelihood of maintaining some sort of sterile field in which televised sports will occur is a longshot.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

At least Djoker doesn't have to worry about taking the vaccine he said he didn't want to take.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Completely sterile? You're absolutely right. But I think the hope is that we get to the point in those settings that one or two positives isn't going to derail the whole thing. Quarantine them, contact trace, etc. That's doable in those bubbles. But to your point, that's why I think college football/basketball is going to be a tough road to hoe this year. Trying to convince 20-year-old kids to not go out when their friends are doing it and bars and clubs are open is going to be a chore.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Ive rooted hard for Joker since he broke though in 2011 with that fantastic season after being behind the Big 2 for so long. Now, with what’s he’s been doing with the COVID tourney and now breaking away from ATP and leaving the WTA behind makes me think he’s all about himself and leaving others behind. Starting to reevaluate my fandom.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

City "hopes to show how to hold a big event safely in a pandemic."

There are no fans. That's 98.3 percent of how to do it.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Heard just a mind-boggling fact while watching the Open yesterday.

Neither Roger Federer nor Rafael Nadal are playing in this year's U.S. Open. The last time this tournament was played without either one in the field was... 1999.

BTExpress likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted