1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2020 Tennis Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Yep, 2016 US Open.

2. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

In the 17 Grand Slam tournaments, starting with Murray’s 2012 US Open win and ending with Wawrinka’s in 2016, Murray and Wawrinka won three each, equal to Nadal (who had a two full year drought in there), while Cilic won one. Djoker won the remaining seven.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

She has been injured a lot over the past couple years. It might be the only thing that stops her from becoming the next dominant female player.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Nadal was struggling with his knee issues. I thought he was done for good in that stretch.

Donny in his element likes this.
  5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I got up to watch the last two also. Djokovic obviously played better than the previous two (judging from the score and commentary), but it looked to me more like Thiem crumbling under the pressure. I didn't think he looked tired -- more overwhelmed.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

He just gave away the break in the fourth set and made a ton of unforced errors in the fifth.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Since the start of 2019, Thiem is 7-4 against the Big Three . . . with nothing but almosts to show for it.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Yeah, overwhelmed might be the better word choice. Good call.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

They said he'd won four of his previous five matches against Djoker.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

i admire Djoker so much, breaking through the Fed/Nadal dominance, then literally catching up, the amazing shots and consistency, yet there I was rooting for Thiem, wanting him to win just once....oh well.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You are not alone, and this is something that has always bothered me. :) Djoker is my favorite player, and has been since that early part of his career when he learned how to channel his emotions and stop the melt downs that were making him lose matches he was ahead in. That made him a mental beast in addition to being ridiculously well conditioned. I think he is the best defensive player ever. I have just always enjoyed watching him play and find a certain honesty in his persona, right down to his imitiations of other players that he used to do, some of whom didn't appreciate it.

Yet, nobody seems to like the guy, and I have never gotten it. Some are like you and will give him a begrudging respect. But I don't get why people don't actively root for him. Those US Open matches against Federer when Federer gets cheered from the moment he takes off his warm ups and Djokovic is dealing with a hostile crowd rooting against him, have always pissed me off. It's not animosity toward Federer on my part. I just think Djoker deserves at least a LITTLE of that kind of adoration.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

He's my favorite player, for whatever that is worth.

Draft saved Draft deleted