1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2020 Tennis Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Jan 23, 2020.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Roger played some very safe points (just slicing backhands low) that didn't cause him to expend any energy and forced Sandgren to dig the ball out and come up with something spectacular to grab that tiebreaker. He couldn't do it.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Which is why he's ranked No. 100.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

DOWN GOES RAFA!

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Sofia Kenin is still nails.

And while I haven't seen him in several days, I am certain Fabio Fognini is still a dick.

5. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Federer massively blew that first set and probably the match

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Halep lost :(

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Some of us are not surprised.

I LOVE the women's final matchup. Muguruza's comeback is great to see -- I've been thinking for a few rounds now that she looked like she could win the tournament -- and Kenin is a rising star with a solid game and a very strong will. Very intrigued to see how she will handle Muguruza's power game.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I'm not surprised, I'm just bummed. I just really enjoy watching Halep play.

da man likes this.
  9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Kenin nailed down the title. Would not have guessed she would show far more poise in the big moments than the two-time major champion/former world No. 1.

That comeback from 0-40 at 2-2 in the third set was as strong a bit of tennis as I've seen -- three high-risk shots for winners to get it to deuce, followed by an ace and a great pass for the game. Muguruza flat-out crumbled after that.

Kenin is a lot like Andreescu in the mental toughness/will/motivation aspects, though Andreescu has a stronger game, at least for now.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Hope Andreescu's knee trouble is not a harbinger.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Woke up in time to catch the final two sets of the men's final ... Djokovic just knows how to dial it up when he needs to. Thiem looked like he was worn out a bit by the end, made some bad forehand errors in the fifth set. Crazy stat that they brought up on air that it's been 5 1/2 years since someone other than Djoker/Rafa/Roger has won a men's major. I couldn't tell you who the last one was without looking it up.

12. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Wawrinka, right?

Draft saved Draft deleted