1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2020 Tennis Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Visited Wimbledon last summer and they have a plaque commemorating that match at Court 18, which basically looks like a place where you and me would play on a weekend.

This match, one dude wins 6-0 and 6-2 and still loses in two tiebreakers and an 18-16. Wack, by definition.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Got it.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

5. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

I wonder if Serena is going to play the French Open. :D

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I know she's not playing Roland Garros!

Splendid Splinter likes this.
  7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Has any athlete Ever been so close to a career record for so long and come up this short?

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

With both Serena and Vika taking a dive, that means one of these four players will be in the quarterfinals: Anna Karolina Schmiedlova, Nadia Podoroska, Barbora Krejcikova and Tsvetana Pironkova. Highest ranking among them: Krejcikova at 114.

That said, Pironkova had a good run at the U.S. Open and seems to be on her way up as she gets back into competition after her three-year retirement. So she's probably better than her current 157 ranking suggests. Still, losing those two big guns really opened up that section of the bracket.

And Pironkova is still incredibly cute.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
  9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The chick who beat Coco Gauff today turned pro 12 years ago . . . and came into the French Open with $375,871 in career prize money. Took nine years just to make her debut in a WTA main draw event. All that, and she's still only 26.

Tennis is a hard road if you're a middling player. And with a ranking of 159, she's actually a little more than middling.

10. Noholesinone

Noholesinone Well-Known Member

I don’t know what Coco’s coaches work on with her, but serving isn’t it. That was inexcusably poor.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Didn't see the match, but just looked at the stats, and wow. 19 double faults? 54 percent of first serves in? That's horrendous.

12. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Eugenie Bouchard update: after getting into the field as a wildcard, she's on to the third round after a three-set win. Bravo!

Draft saved Draft deleted