1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2020 PGA Tour thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Sep 11, 2019.

1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Your answer confirms to me all I need to know about the people who cover golf for a living.

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

upload_2020-8-6_15-19-2.jpeg

Is he related to Doris Day? [crossthread]

3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Most likely no career grand slam this week. Spieth shoots 73 and is currently at T101. But when you hit less than 30 percent of the fairways and only 50 percent of the greens, that's what's going to happen.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I worry that he's going to be the next David Duval.

6. MileHigh

Well, he's got two more majors than Duval, but yeah. He's really dropped off since the 2017 Open.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

What kills me is at times you can still see what he can be when he plays with confidence. Not sure how and why he lost that belief.

MileHigh likes this.
  8. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

The fact that he can barely bend over to pick up his ball may have something to do with it

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I once was the executive producer on an entertainment news show that was hosted by a former beauty pageant winner, who happened to also be valedictorian of her university. She was considered a rising star in the business and by the time she joined my show, it was probably her 4th or 5th gig, and I'd noticed that she'd gone from the 24-year old host of a major network gig down to my little show in about 5 years. Then I found out why: damn could that woman not read a prompter or adlib when hosting solo to save her life.

What's this got to do with Spieth? After coaching her up for weeks, and learning more about her background, I figured out that at each show she had an EP, a SP, a stage-manager and at the first 2-3 gigs she had independent consultants coaching her every move. And each one had a different technique. I told my boss, "she's like a pro golfer who started out hot but now can't sink a putt because he's hired too many coaches along the way. She won't relax and deliver how she wants to, she's stuck on hearing in the back of her mind all the advice she's gotten over the years..."

I really do think that is what is troubling Spieth; he's got too many voices in his head before every shot.

10. MileHigh

Yes. He has been frustrating to watch the past couple of years. Just when you think he gets going, he drops a double and it just seeps into his head. He certainly overthinks a lot. Back before his 2015-2017 run, he would describe himself as a mental midget. Somehow, he overcame that, especially in 2015 when he won two majors and was damn close in the other two. But somehow, that has gone away.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Completely agree. And I am reminded of what Rickey Henderson told Manny Ramirez in the batting cage one day in Toronto when both were with the Sox. "Now when you're going bad, a lot of people are going to try to make you think. And THAT's what's gonna fuck you up."

Chef2, TigerVols and MileHigh like this.
  12. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Not Agasssi

Draft saved Draft deleted