1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2020 PGA Tour thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Sep 11, 2019.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Oh yeah Olympic is spectacular (played right before COVID, the approach on 18, uphill, tiny green, deep bunkers all around is unforgettable) and there are some others (Lake Merced CC, SF Golf Club, California Club). I've got a love-hate relationship with that area though, I love golf in the sunshine, I call myself "Solar Golfer" because of my love for sun and that area is almost always misty and foggy which is less than ideal. The ball flies shorter and the grass at times is wispy rather than lush so the lies are different.

maumann and MileHigh like this.
  2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Rory, J.T. and the Big Cat is spicy.

Phil, Rahm and Sergio ain't too bad.

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I meant with the names.
    IIRC, one of the pairings was Si Woo Kim, Sung Kang and Kevin Na.......
    They had the old bastards group......like Freddie, Langer and Stricker.........I know they did a Jones, Johnson and Johnson pairing..........stuff like that.

MileHigh likes this.
  5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

They once put Corey Pavin with Tiger and Daly. Poor little bastard was 50 yards behind on every second shot.

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

That made me laugh.

7. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

I always thought that was more a USGA thing.

Frank Hannigan always did a prick pairing, but I think once Feinstein wrote about it, David Fay stopped doing it.

8. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I played a lot in Contra Costa, Napa and Solano when I moved back and those municipal course greens and fairways bake in the summer to the point where you almost have to land the ball on the front of the green and let it take one or two huge bounces. Dad and I used to get up before the crack of dawn to play Boundary Oaks (Walnut Creek Golf Course, I guess) in the summer. We'd tee off as soon as there'd be enough light to see, and he'd leave for work after nine holes while I'd play all 18. It'd be 60 degrees at 6 a.m. and 95 by the time I finished at 10.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I remember the USGA had an "XXL" pairing of Kevin Stadler, Shane Lowry and Brendon de Jonge, and Stadler and Lowry were not impressed.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The greenside bunkers on 18 at Olympic seem to spell "I-O-U," though some members suspect the course is telling players, "I Own You."

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I covered the '98 Open at Olympic, and I remember waiting for the press buses by what is left of the course the club tried to build by the ocean. Most of the effort has been in the ocean for decades, but the idea was THIS would be our championship course and the surviving course would be for the members only. I can't imagine what the architect's plans for that one were like.

MileHigh likes this.
  12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Through the generosity of my buddy, I played both the Lake (championship) and the Ocean (other one) in March just before COVID. The Lake remains a beautiful beast that's damn hard. The Ocean is a wonderful playable course.

Harding Park, which was a parking lot for the 1998 Open, is in great shape now. When the PGA comes around, you can dress it up beautifully and get up there with Olympic, but once the party leaves, there's simply not enough $$ to keep up the beauty show for a public course.

Draft saved Draft deleted