1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2020 PGA Tour thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Correct.

Yup. And, even on a year in which The Open won't be held, it's the fourth major.

*Laughing with both you and MileHigh* ...

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

The balls this took with a charging Tiger behind you.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I mean in the PGA Championship. '86 at Augusta is without peer.

4. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Five things I learned from working at PGA.com, soon after learning the history of how the TOUR broke off from the PGA five decades ago.

1. Don't mention the rulebook or handicaps, because they have a massive inferiority complex regarding the USGA.
    2. Don't mention the President's Cup in any conversation about the Ryder Cup.
    3. Don't mention anything about Ted Bishop's most recent tweets.
    4. Don't say out loud how much more you like The Players compared to a bunch of club pros at the PGA Championship.
    5. Don't go to the PGA Merchandise Show and ask how come the PGA seems to know more about ordering shirts than they do playing golf.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

An oh-so-rare par 6.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Still mad at the guy who threw Tiger's ball out of the rough and down the cart path in the playoff?

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Apparently he’s a part owner of the brand. He’s also trademarked “hit bombs” with an eye on launching a clothing line.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I don't remember that at all.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

A few blocks east of Penn Station in Manhattan there's a plaque on a building saying it was where the PGA was formed in I think 1913. It was once a hotel, now it's a Korean restaurant/nightclub. I don't know why the PGA is sensitive about its status. It's fundamentally an association of small businessmen in the golf industry whose members happen to be good golfers themselves. As somebody said in John Feinstein's book, in any group of four things, one has to be ranked fourth. That's the PGA tournament. It still outranks the Players and probably always will. They should be cool with that.

maumann likes this.
  10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

It was actually a kid about 15 years old. You saw Tiger's drive disappear to the right and into a bush. One guy points at it. Total jail. Then all of a sudden the ball comes bounding out of the bush and onto the cart path, followed by the kid running.

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

You guys enjoying the Summer in the City weather? Ball is going to be flying 10 yds less due to heavy fog air.

Harding looks fabulous though. Can’t wait to jump on once the tourney is over.

maumann likes this.
  12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

There are four courses right in that area. I went to the 1998 Open at Olympic. Spectacular area with the Pacific just across the street.

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted