1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2020 PGA Tour thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Sep 11, 2019.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

My first time there, all I wanted to do was grab a driver and launch it down the hill. When I finally won my first lottery I hooked it into one of the cabins.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Did Phil have manboob reduction surgery? He looks leanest he's been in years.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

He gave his excess weight to Bryson.

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

DeChambeau is hitting a 5 degree driver.
    I hit a 6.5 degree driver for about 3 years. I hit it about 260, but it never got more than 30 feet in the air. Out here where 30 mph is a breeze, it worked great.
    DeChambeau is hitting this thing 150-160 feet up. That is obscene.
    Faldo said a week or two ago he tried to hit DeChambeau's 4-iron, and said it was impossible to get it airborne.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

He went on a major weight reduction program this winter, starting with a six-day fast.

TigerVols likes this.
  6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

And it hasn't mattered a bit. Still looking for his first post-muscled up victory and he made a bogey on Friday after a 428-yard drive.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Daly hit a 6-degree loft driver and for a time hit a 1-iron that he claimed had zero loft, which some people scoffed at and I'm not sure is possible anyway. Even a putter has about 3-4 degrees of loft.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Most, if not all, of his irons are cut to the same length - the length of a typical 7-iron. Makes sense ... fewer adjustments of the distance between his stance and the ball and same swing plane.

Having heard DeChambeau talk, anything that keeps the noise down in his head to a dull roar is a good thing. Thinking his thoughts and Brooks Koepka - who seems to strive to keep it really simple - have to be opposite corners of the universe.

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Let's go ahead and do that. About 100 of that was cart path.
    Yes, I know he had 70 yards or something into that hole, but still......
    The voices in his head are what's going to keep him from winning on a consistent basis.

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Daly hit a 0 iron back in the mid 90's. So did Davis Love.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

That was one of the most wild holes I've ever watched.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

That was what I was talking about in the previous post. A friend of mine who designs golf clubs (not for one of the major companies) and has a metallurgy degree said it's almost impossible to machine a club with zero loft.
    As far as the same-length shaft irons, my friend will modify anyone's irons that way for $65 per set. DeChambeau first talked about it two years ago and people came up to my friend and asked if he could do. He's modified about 100 sets since then. The industry standard is a half-inch difference in shafts through the set but he said Hogan used to have his cut a quarter-inch difference (obviously, shorter shafts for the higher-lofted clubs).

Draft saved Draft deleted