1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2020 PGA Tour thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Sep 11, 2019.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Tour might be getting into dangerous territory. How many positives are acceptable per week? And the visuals haven't been too good out there, in the clips I've seen from the range there appears to be little social distancing and zero masks.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
  2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Eight positives out of 2,757 tests (.002) so far.
    Three were Korn Ferry Tour caddies and one Korn Ferry player who got positives from home tests and never traveled to the tournament site.
    Two were PGA Tour players (Watney and Champ) and two caddies (Koepka and McDowell).
    In the meantime, the Phillies have had 12 players and staffers test positive out of, how many? 75 people? 100?
    LSU, Clemson, Houston, K-State, Boise ... a much higher percentage of positvity from a much smaller pool of people.
    You can make the case that all sports need to shut down until a vaccine is developed and I might actually agree with you.
    But if a sport is determined to compete, it seems like the Tour is doing as good a job as possible.

3. playthrough

Fair points, though still I wonder how many positives the Tour is willing to have every week. Zero is unrealistic, I think everyone understands that, but I'm also sure the Tour has a target number where under is OK and over means time to break out Plan B. And let's face it, there's a difference between losing Nick Watney and Brooks Koepka (yes, I know it was Koepka's caddie that tested positive). I'm sure there's a couple pages in the Tour protocols about Staying The Hell Away From Tiger, whenever he shows up.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I don't think there is a plan B. If they shut it down again, it's shut down for good.

5. playthrough

True. Though considering more caddies have tested positive than players across the KFT and PGA Tour (close but Hondo has them at 5-3), I wonder if there would be any consideration whatsoever to playing without them if that's what it took to keep the show moving.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Well, a lot of people said they liked the optics of the Rory-DJ vs. Rickie-Wolff match when they carried the stand bags. I suppose if you told them it was the only way to play golf (and make money), they'd suck it up. Not a lot of hilly courses until they get to Augusta in November. They play in Tahoe, Harding Park and Vegas, to name three. Most of them are reading their own greens. I'd say for it, but waive the rule against range-finders.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Wait. Augusta is hilly?
    Know that I did not.

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

You're right........Tahoe isn't a hilly course.
    Those mountains on the other hand.......

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

That approach at 9 sometimes looks like they're hitting up to the top of Everest.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

10 is a pretty steep drop. The climb up 18 is no bargain if you're out of shape. 8 is a pretty good uphill walk.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

My most vivid first impression of Augusta was standing by the tee at 10. It seemed like driving off the top of a 10 meter board.

da man likes this.
  12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I had two.

First, how gorgeous the place is, especially at the Amen Corner. Second, watching players come up short at nine and just how far back down the hill the ball rolled before it finally stopped.

Draft saved Draft deleted